Veterans Yellow Ribbon Program
Alma College has participated in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program since 2009.
The Post-9/11 GI Bill covers tuition and fees not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition & fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning. The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) will match tuition and fees in excess of the portion funded by the GI Bill which are waived by Alma College.
- Free tuition (if 100% benefit eligible)
- Yellow Ribbon pays for all college fees, and there is also a book allowance of up to $1,000 per year
- No cap on number of Yellow Ribbon participants
- Other GI Bill benefits provide funds for living expenses such as room and board
You may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program if:
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001 of at least 36 months
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
- You have dependents eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above
There is no minimum number of credit hours required for participation and awards will continue in subsequent years in which the student maintains satisfactory progress, conduct and attendance.
The Yellow Ribbon Program does not include room and board or books and supplies that are provided for separately under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. These benefits will replace merit scholarships awarded at the time of acceptance.
Please visit the VA’s Yellow Ribbon website to determine your eligibility.
How to Apply to Alma College
To apply to Alma College as a Yellow Ribbon participant, follow these steps:
- Review the VA’s Yellow Ribbon website. This site gives you instructions regarding eligibility and applying for your Certificate of Eligibility through the Department of Veterans Affairs. You must start the process by applying for your Certificate of Eligibility through the VA. You may wish to seek assistance from your base Education Specialist, Family Readiness Center or from your VA representative.
- Apply to Alma College and be accepted.
- Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, please fax, email, mail or hand-deliver the certificate to
Attn: Mary Pratt
614 West Superior Street
Alma, MI 48801
Faxes can be sent to (989) 463-7993. Mark them “Attn: Mary Pratt.” Email may be sent to Mary Pratt at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be a Michigan resident to receive these funds?
Tuition and fees will be covered regardless of your state of residence. Out-of-state veterans will have a larger portion of their funds paid by Alma College as opposed to in-state residents who receive funds from the State of Michigan.
Can I share or give my Yellow Ribbon educational benefit to my spouse or children?
Only veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty service members may be eligible if the service member is qualified at the 100 percent rate.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Notice
Important Eligibility Information
Students receiving a full tuition scholarship, grant or award from Alma College or an outside provider are not eligible to receive standard Alma College merit, competitive, or additional scholarships, grants or awards. These are replaced by the full tuition award being received. This includes but is not limited to the Yellow Ribbon Program, ROTC, and Alma College’s Distinguished Scholar Award (up to full tuition). Non-college financial aid will be adjusted in accordance with the rules and regulations applicable to those programs.