Military and Veterans

We’re proud to be named a 2021-22 Military Friendly® school.

At Alma, we care about our service members and veterans. We promise individualized academic and admissions counseling, small class sizes, a commitment to career development, and 40+ academic programs that are regionally accredited through the Higher Learning Commission and through discipline specific accrediting bodies, as appropriate. Our 95% placement rate in a career or graduate school attests to the strength of the individualized education and the applied learning experiences that we offer.

Please use the list below to guide you through the transfer and transition process.


  1. Complete Alma College’s free online application or use the Common Application
  2. Arrange to have your official high school transcripts sent to Alma College
  3. If you have completed college level coursework, please send all official college transcripts to Alma College
  4. Review the Required Documents List to make sure you have the documents needed or can obtain them
  5. Complete the Veterans Administration stepsContact Mary Pratt, if you have any questions

Contact Mary Pratt student accounts financial coordinator if you have any questions. 

VA Steps

  1. Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education and Training Center to find out more about the benefits for which you qualify. If you are a member of the Michigan National Guard, please visit the State of Michigan’s Tuition Assistance Program for more information.
  2. Request your Letter of Eligibility and complete the VA Application:
    If the VA finds you eligible, they will mail you a “Certificate of Eligibility” or an “Award Letter” with information about your benefit
  3. Please submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the student accounts financial coordinator, Mary Pratt, immediately upon receipt (via email or drop off in person).
  4. Request that your Military Transcripts be sent to Alma College.
    We accept up to 84-credits towards an undergraduate program from prior colleges/universities and military training.
  5. Complete the GI Bill® Certification Request (every semester).This form is located in your Alma Portal under “Other Forms”

Required Documents

  • DD-214 form verifying service
  • If you need a copy of your DD-214, you can request a copy
  • Service verification letter from your command indicating current duty station
  • VA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)
  • Active military ID


Mary Pratt complies with NACAC’s Guide to Ethical Practice in College Admissions and will guide you through each step of the application, benefit and enrollment process.

Alma College was recently awarded the Gold level award from the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.