FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; Full Time
The Head Men’s and Women’s Swim and Dive Coach and Aquatics Director is responsible for all aspects of coaching the team including recruiting, fitness training, practice, competition, and travel. The head coach will advocate for the importance of the program within the campus community, as well as the larger Alma community, and will serve as a role model of the high standards expected of our students. This position will also serve as the Aquatics Director and oversee all pool operations. A successful candidate will have experience recruiting students, as well as cultivating friends of the various programs to meet enrollment and fundraising goals. The successful candidate will demonstrate and support a commitment and sensitivity to diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity.
SALARY RANGE: $43,000 – $53,000
• Using the college’s mission and strategic plan as a guideline to develop and direct the swim and dive program.
• Ensure an environment that promotes student safety.
• Work with Associate Athletics Director and Center for Student Success to monitor progress and eligibility of all student-athletes.
• Work with Athletics Director and Admissions staff to establish annual recruitment goals.
• Cultivate positive relationships with students and their families.
• Develop a positive relationship with and play an active role in college and community events and programs.
• Work collaboratively with Student Services and Residence Life staff with respect to student needs and any issues related to student behavior.
• Ensure institutional compliance with the various governing bodies for the swim and dive program.
• Collaborate with Athletics Director in establishing a fundraising plan for the swim and dive program that meets the department’s annual fundraising goals and aligns with the college’s overall fundraising strategy.
• Prepare and collaborate with the Director of Athletics on the annual budget.
• Ensure the highest ethical, moral standards for all aspects of the college’s programs.
• In coordination with auxiliary services and athletics, promote and manage a summer camp program that helps to achieve the fundraising goals of the department.
• Dependent on experience, administrative duties may be assigned and compensated.
• Oversee all aspects of pool operations including but not limited to facility safety, maintenance, and weekly hours.
• Manage the hiring, training, and scheduling of lifeguards.
• Any and all other duties as assigned by the director of athletics.
• Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2 years coaching experience at the collegiate level or demonstrated successful head coaching experience on the high school level as well as the educational background and expertise to teach college level courses.
• Knowledge of NCAA and MIAA conference rules.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Knowledge of computer applications, organizational abilities, event planning and camps, fund raising, financial management and recruiting ability and demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse populations.
• Must be willing to actively participate in practices.
• Ability to work weekends/evenings and travel.
• A valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to fulfil essential functions of the position.
Interested candidates shall submit an Alma College application, a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references with contact information to Sarah Dehring, Vice President/Director of Athletics, via email to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.