FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 12 months
DEPARTMENT: Student Affairs
The director supervises and coordinates all career development, planning and readiness programs and activities to ensure that students are given the opportunity to explore and select career options and acquire work-related experiences to maximize career placement. In addition, the director will work closely with Academic Affairs to discover ways to implement career development into the curriculum.
This position reports to the Assistant Vice President for Student Success and supervises the professional staff and student assistants.
• Provide leadership, strategic vision and administrative oversight of campus wide programs, services and operations with the Career and Personal Development Office.
• Work with students, faculty, alumni and employers to coordinate the internship process for all Business programs and work to expand the number and range of opportunities for internships.
• Coordinate all career development work across the sector and campus.
• Develop and coordinate intentional alumni & current Alma student mentorship programs.
• Develop strategic relationships with key faculty, alumni and employers to help increase student engagement in career development opportunities on and off campus.
• Secure internship and employment opportunities.
• Work collaboratively with academic partners to develop pathways to infuse career into the Alma College curriculum.
• Supports critical retention efforts and internship cultivation.
• Support key initiatives within the Student Affairs sector and Alma College.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Masters’ degree required.
• Previous experience in career planning, program development, supervision and evaluation.
• Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain professional relationships
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Good organizational and analytical skills.
• Experience in a higher education setting or working with college students.
• Degree in a business related field or previous experience in the business field.
• Experience working in collaboration with faculty.
• Experience in career development, study abroad, or a related field.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.