FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 12 months, Hybrid
With a proud history and traditions that extend back to 1886, Alma College is a leading liberal arts college in the Midwest region with an alumni base of 14,000, most of whom reside in Michigan. Alma alumni of every era whose lives have been enriched by their experiences on campus have a collective power to ensure that future generations of students can share that transforming bond. Building upon the success of the “Our Time is Now” campaign that raised a record $125 million, the Development Director will join the president of the college, vice president for advancement, and the advancement team to secure support for college priorities including the annual fund, endowment, planned gifts, and capital projects. There are multiple openings for this role.
This position has a hybrid work structure where the employee may work remotely or from the office, as needed, based on demands of specific tasks. The employee and supervisor will create a flexible plan that best supports the goals of the position.
• Work collaboratively with advancement teammates, college partners, and volunteers to identify priorities and develop strategies for the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gift prospects.
• Actively manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to the cultivation and securing of support from assigned prospects.
• Assist in overall constituency engagement including the planning, execution, and attendance at internal and external events.
• Participate in individual and team professional development through conferences, seminars/webinars, and contact with other advancement colleagues.
• Goal orientation with a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to the mission and goals of the College.
• Be a “self-starter” and goal-driven to initiate donor communications and visits.
• Ability to build and sustain relationships.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues, volunteers, and donors.
• Strong communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to multitask and meet deadlines.
• Computer literacy, including familiarity with social media, virtual visit tools such as Zoom, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software programs.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 3-5 years of fundraising experience.
• Experience and demonstrated success in one or more of the following fields: fundraising, marketing, communications, sales.
• Ability to travel in and out of state.
• Ability to work weekends and evenings.
• Ability to handle confidential information.
• Higher education experience.
• Experience with campaign planning and implementation, annual giving, major, and planned gifts.
• Graduate degree or Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) certification.
• Experience discussing legacy giving or estate planning with donors.
• Experience cultivating and closing charitable gifts of five figures or higher.
• Experience with PGCalc products, including Planned Giving Manager and Gift Wrap.
• Experience working with and submitting grants to foundations and corporations.
• Traveling independently in and out of state
• Sitting at a desk for up to 8 hours
• Lifting up to 20 pounds
Interested candidates shall submit an Alma College application, cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references with contact information via email to email@example.com.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.