FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 12 months
DEPARTMENT: Financial Aid
Alma College is seeking an experienced, highly motivated, socially engaged professional to serve as Assistant Director of Financial Aid. The Assistant Director reports to the Director of Financial Aid and is a member of the Strategic Enrollment Management team. This is a student-centered role focused on providing immediate and comprehensive services to students and families, including but not limited to first year, transfer, graduate and international students.
• Manage multiple, complex, financial aid software systems including web-based applications, to ensure effective operations. Programs include Datatel/Colleague and Slate and utilizing Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), COD (Common Origination and Disbursement – process loans, loan corrections), NSLDS (National Student Loan Data System), FPS (FAFSA Processing System), and ELM (private loans).
• Completing the verification process including required reporting for V4 and V5.
• Reviewing, processing, and completing special circumstance requests.
• Package, award, and distribute federal and state financial aid resources to eligible students in accordance with all federal, state, and institutional rules and regulations.
• Update and maintain annual consumer information.
• Manage the state programs from checking eligibility to submitting quarterly enrollment verification reports. Balance and reconciling funding with the state and internally.
• ISIR review including comment codes and conflicting information.
• Award revisions based off FAFSA changes and assists with awarding of freshman and returning students.
• Manage the reconciliation and eligibility of Federal SEOG, Pell Grant, and TEACH grant.
• Counsel new and returning students and parents on their financial aid awards and financing options.
• Attend admissions meetings and team professional developments.
• Education of the recruitment cycle/process to better assist students in their process.
• Collaborate with communication and marketing for admissions and financial aid ideas.
• Assist with presenting at local high school FAFSA nights and other relevant events.
• Seasonal evenings and weekends are occasionally required.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Experience navigating financial aid systems such as COD, FAA Access to FPS, NSLDS, ELM.
• Experience in counseling, higher education, or customer service experience.
• Excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
• A professional, congenial and polite demeanor.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a diverse team of professionals.
• Three years of experience in financial aid or relevant experience in higher education student services related function(s).
• Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague.
• Knowledge of MiSSG programs.
• NASFAA Credentials.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to email@example.com. Position is open until filled.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.