FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 12 months
This professional position reports to the Associate Director of Admissions and is responsible for the recruitment of first year students. Admissions Counselors are primarily responsible for visiting high schools, advising prospective students and their families on admission to Alma College, evaluating applications for admission, encouraging enrollment and other general Admissions Office activities, and will thoroughly engage in undergraduate recruitment efforts through actively communicating the benefits of an Alma College education to prospective students, their parents, counselors, and other community organizations.
• Travel extensively (minimum of 8 weeks), including weeknights and weekends to promote Alma College to prospective first-year students to meet enrollment goals.
• Schedule visits to high schools and community-based organizations. Coordinate pre-visit calls and correspondence, make travel arrangements, conduct information sessions, and follow up with students, faculty, and staff contacted during visits via phone calls, letters, and email.
• Manage and develop recruitment strategies in conjunction with overall recruitment goals; review and analyze data to determine schools, fairs, and events to attend/visit; and review and analyze data to effectively recruit students to meet enrollment goals.
• Evaluate applications and supporting documents in making admission recommendations for a specified group of students.
• Counsel, advise, and maintain positive contact with prospective students and their families regarding academic programs, admissions requirements, scholarships, and student life.
• Present to large and small groups of prospective students, families, high school counselors and educational partners.
• Establish and maintain relationships with high school guidance counselors and community-based organizations in assigned regions.
• Utilize technology effectively, including social media, to disseminate information to prospective students and to enhance the efficient functioning of the Admissions team.
• Conduct interviews and information sessions on and off campus for prospective students, families, high school visits and special guests.
• Participate and assist with event planning in support of recruitment and yield events.
• Assist admissions team in primary/secondary duties (phone, email, information sessions, and meetings with families) during select days of the week, including weekends.
• Submit timely expense reports and tracking expenditures.
• Other duties as assigned.
•A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and a minimum of one (1) year of experience in a professional work setting, ideally in higher education.
• Excellent interpersonal skills that include professional and motivational communication, public speaking, and relationship building.
• Excellent and professional verbal and written communication skills.
• Significant level of independent judgment and autonomy regarding work planning and project completion.
• Must be available to work evenings, nights and weekends for recruitment travel activities throughout the year.
• Proficient understanding of technology and computer systems to include Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams), and other Microsoft applications including presentation and web/video conferencing tools.
• Must be a self-starter with ability to work independently and on a team.
• A valid driver’s license with a good driving record and reliable vehicle is required.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.