FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 6 months; Part Time
Responsible for assisting the head coach with the intercollegiate softball program, including but not limited to: coaching, recruiting qualified student athletes, fundraising, camps, developing schedules, budget management, building community support for the program, monitoring academic progress of student athletes, and knowledge of applicable NCAA rules. Position period is from January 2 – June 30.
Reports to: Head Softball Coach
Supervises: Student Assistants, Student Workers
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – may include, but not limited to the following:
• Coach the softball team.
• Evaluates and recruits qualified student-athletes. Develops a recruiting plan and actively recruits student-athletes.
• Manages all aspects of the team, including practicing, competing, and scheduling.
• Scout opponents.
• Monitors class schedules, grades and student-athlete academic progress.
• Responsible for softball student-athlete retention.
• Develop and delegate specific job tasks to assistant(s).
• Model good sportsmanship and always enforce sportsmanlike behavior among players.
• Communicate personal and program expectations to team and individual players.
• Cooperate with maintenance staff, transportation staff, and other who are involved in supporting the athletic program.
• Assist administration with alumni relations.
• Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the MIAA, and the NCAA with the utmost integrity.
• Work cooperatively with personnel in athletic department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
• Support the philosophy and mission of the College and the athletic department.
• Develop fundraisers to improve the softball program.
• Develop student-athletes to be contributing members to the campus community and the community at large.
• Bachelor’s degree required with collegiate level playing and/or coaching experience.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Excellent written and oral skills, knowledge of computer applications, organizational abilities, event
planning and camps, fund raising, financial management and recruiting ability.
• Demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse populations.
• Must be willing to actively participate in practices and must be able to work weekends/evenings and
• Experience in a residential campus environment is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of NCAA and MIAA conference rules.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• A strong public service orientation to work well with faculty, staff, students, and the community.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to work with a diverse team in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work a varying work schedule.
• Ability to travel as needed for competition and recruiting.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references to Sarah Dehring, Vice President/Director of Athletics via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.