Second Year Experience
Welcome to your second year at Alma College! Your second year marks an important transition in your college career, therefore we have designed the Second Year Experience (SYE) Program to address the unique issues and challenges sophomores may face. During your second year you can expect your focus to shift inward as you begin to explore and take a more in depth look at things such as campus involvement, major declaration, social connections, and relationships with faculty and staff on campus. There are many support services available to you in your second year.
To create a more unified experience, our second-year students are housed together on North Campus in Mitchell and Newberry Halls. These halls were renovated during the Summer of 2018 and feature many unique amenities. Both halls are centrally located to Hamilton Commons, the library, and academic classes, which make them great housing options for second-year students!
Things to Consider Doing Your Second Year:
- Declare your major
- Consider adding a minor or second major
- Learn about study abroad and venture opportunities
- Look into service learning opportunities and consider joining the Scots in Service Living-Learning Community
- Research internships related to your career interests
- Visit the Center for Student Opportunity and get connected with Career Services
- Join a new student organization
- Reflect on your values, beliefs and what motivates you