Student Jobs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is work-study?

    Work-study is a federal program that reimburses employers for a portion of student earnings. Students qualify by filing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and demonstrating a high level of financial need. If you qualify for work-study, your financial aid award letter will list it. 

  • My award letter lists work-study, what does that mean?

    Work-study is just like getting a regular job, except that the employer is reimbursed for a part of your earnings. The work-study award does not get applied directly to the student account, it must be earned. Students may use their earnings to pay for part of their student bill or for other school related expenses. 

  • How will I receive my work-study award?

    Once you have a job and begin working, you will get paid through the employee payroll process. To use your earnings to pay your bill, you must make payments or set up the deduction through the Financial Services Office.

  • I don’t have Federal Work-Study. Can I still work on campus?

    Yes. Work-study is not a requirement for students who want to seek employment on or off campus. 

  • May I return to the same job each year?

    There is no guarantee that the same job will be available from year to year. Student workers should address this with their supervisor before the end of the school year. 

  • Is there a limit to the number of hours I can work?

    Students can work up to 20 total hours per week depending on the position. Earnings cannot exceed the dollar amount of the work-study award. 

  • My award letter lists work-study. Do I automatically receive a work-study job?

    No. Students who are eligible and interested in participating in work-study are responsible for finding and applying for a job. 

  • Is work-study income taxable?

    Yes. Any money received as the result of work (i.e., work-study employment, temporary employment on or off campus, some fellowships, etc.) is considered taxable income. You will be asked to file a withholding form (W-4) and will receive a statement of income and taxes withheld form (W-2) each calendar year. Questions regarding your withholding status should be directed to the Financial Services Office. Your taxable earnings from need-based employment must also be reported on your FAFSA.

  • How much will I be paid?

    At least minimum wage depending on the position.