Alma College strives to provide safe living spaces for all students and to be inclusive of all gender identities. It is the College’s standard procedure to provide students with same-gender housing assignments within the rooms of all campus housing units. The college recognizes, however, the need to consider requests for mixed-gender room assignments. Thus, the Student Life Office may permit mixed-gender room assignments to accommodate students, with priority going to students with gender-based need. In all cases of gender inclusive housing, all occupants must voluntarily agree to the following living arrangement.
The Student Life Office will exercise the Gender Inclusive Housing Policy with the following guidelines and considerations:
- All approved gender inclusive housing assignments will take into account campus housing space constraints.
- All students with a mixed-gender housing assignment must voluntarily agree to live within a gender inclusive room, suite, or other campus living unit.
- Students assigned to gender-inclusive rooms, suites, or other campus living units with shared private spaces (including bathrooms), must have voluntarily agreement of the mixed-gender housing assignment.
- The Student Life Office must have written documentation that all students assigned to mixed-gender housing assignments and any shared space voluntarily agree to the living arrangement by filling out the Gender Inclusive Housing form.
- Students and their chosen roommates should follow the standard housing process in the Winter term and participate in the housing lottery on housing nights to receive a room assignment.
Last Revision 1/10/2018