Bylaws of the Student Congress of Alma College.
Article 1: Voting Representatives:
Voting representatives shall consist of one member from each organization officially recognized by Student Congress. The following list contains the current membership for the 2011-2012 academic year.
- Active Minds
- Alpha Gamma Delta
- Alpha Phi Omega
- Alternative Breaks
- Amnesty International
- Alpha Xi Delta
- Barrister Society
- Biology Club
- Catholic Student Organization
- Chemistry Club
- Chinese Club
- Climate Change Action Network
- Climbing Club
- Colleges Against Cancer
- Delta Gamma Tau
- Education Club
- French Club
- Gamma Phi Beta
- Gender and Sexual Diversity
- German Club
- Inter Fraternity Council
- Interfaith Council
- International Club
- Kappa Iota
- Kiltie Band
- Love Your Melon
- MacCurdy House
- Multi-Cultural Student Union
- Model United Nations
- New Life
- Panhellenic Council
- Phi Mu Alpha
- Phi Sigma Sigma
- Physics Club
- Pi Delta Chi
- Pine River Anthology
- Political Science Club
- Psi Chi
- Sigma Alpha Iota
- See Spot Run
- Sigma Chi
- Student Athletic Trainers
- Swing Club
- The Scot
- Theta Chi
- Tau Kappa Epsilon
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Zeta Sigma
Article 2: Student Activity Fee:
The Student Activity Fee for the 2011-2012 academic year shall be $250.00.
The Student Activity Fee for the 2012-2013 academic year shall be $260.00.
Article 3: Executive Council Salaries:
Officers’ salaries shall be determined by the Student Budget and Finance Committee and approved by a simple majority of the voting body present. Salaries for the 2011-2012 academic year shall be as follows:
- The President shall receive $600.00 per year
- The Vice President shall receive $500.00 per year
- The Secretary and Treasurer shall receive $400.00 per year
Article 4: Organization Binders:
All organizations representatives of Student Congress shall each be responsible for a records binder. These binders shall be given to the representative under the ownership of Student Congress and shall be returned to Student Congress in the same condition in which it was received. Penalties for not following this procedure shall be decided by the Budget and Finance Committee. These binders shall include sections for:
- Organization Constitution and member list
- Student Congress constitution and member list
- Organization minutes and notes
- Student Congress minutes and notes
- Budget and Finance information
This binder shall also be used as the budget binder for each organization and shall be submitted to the Budget and Finance Committee under their discretion (Article VII, Section III).
Article 5: Mid-year Audits/Evaluations and Budget Proposals:
In the event that an organization does not hand in the material deemed necessary by the Budget and Finance Committee in a timely manner, the following punishments shall be enacted upon that same organization by the BFC:
- 10% of the budget shall be cut from the organization’s remaining budget for information regarding mid-year audits that is turned into the BFC up to one week late.
- 20% of the budget shall be cut from the organization’s remaining budget for information regarding mid-year audits that is turned into the BFC up to two weeks late.
- If a group chooses to turn in materials after two weeks, the BFC should deem an appropriate punishment.
- 5% of an organization’s proposed budget (as finalized by the BFC) shall be cut for each day that information regarding that same proposed budget is late to the BFC. This will remain in effect up to 50% of an organization’s budget (or ten days). Upon this the BFC will deem an appropriate punishment.
The preceding are subject to the BFC and they shall bring forth any changes to the Student Congress. In an instance that an organization’s budget is shown to be already used or having the majority spent, the BFC shall assess and administer punishments, as it deems necessary and just.
Article 6: Clothing Policy:
Only $200 or 10% of the Student Congress allocated budget (whichever is greater) can be used on organization t-shirt and/or clothing purchases. Clothing must indicate a relationship to Alma College and have a purpose to promote your organization and college as a while. This policy may be revoked at any time. Violation of this policy is punishable by a 10% deduction of the organization’s remaining budget.
Article 7: Food/Drink Policy:
Only $200 or 10% of the Student Congress allocated budget (whichever is greater) can be used on organization food/drink purchases. This includes but not limited to: meetings and or any type of organizational gathering. This policy may be revoked at any time. Violation of this policy is punishable by a 10% deduction of the organization’s remaining budget.
Article 8: Amendments to the Bylaws:
Amendments to the bylaws shall be approved by a simple majority of Student Congress Representatives. The President shall have the option of calling for a roll call vote if deemed necessary. Any representative may also request a roll call vote.
Revised & Approved October 2011