To foster a safe and healthy environment for everyone, at the start of the winter term all students were asked to agree to a safety pledge.
You will be asked to agree to following:
Avoid Bias-Based Discrimination: The current COVID-19 outbreak has provoked cognitive bias and discriminatory behaviors against people of certain ethnic backgrounds as well as anyone perceived to have been in contact with the virus. We know that the virus is not a respecter of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or physical ability. During this time of great uncertainty based on the COVID-19 pandemic, I will treat my peers, faculty, and staff with the respect every human being deserves and not promote, participate in, or allow my own bias to impede the access and opportunity of others in my community.
Provide Support: Recognizing that this is a stressful and overwhelming time, I will also do what I can to support others in my community by listening and assisting when I can. I will employ patience and understanding, knowing that this is a dynamic situation. I will make efforts to be part of the solution.
Monitor and Care
- Daily Health Screening, Testing, and Contact Tracing Protocols: I will monitor my temperature and participate in the college’s daily health screening measures. If I have a change in my health status, I will follow the reporting protocol requirements and provide accurate and complete information.
- Training: I will complete and comply with all required COVID-19 related online training modules.
- Stay Home: I will stay home or in my residence hall room if I am sick with COVID-19 symptoms or know that I have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. I will follow the college’s protocols for isolation or quarantine.
- Practicing Daily Self-Care: To the best of my ability, I will support my overall wellness.
- Face Covering: I will adhere to the guidelines for wearing a face covering (or mask when required).
- Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette: I will practice proper hand washing and respiratory etiquette (e.g., cover my cough).
- Social Gatherings: Recognizing that some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus, I will avoid crowded places and avoid mass gatherings on- and off-campus. I will practice physical distancing when meeting in smaller groups and will wear my face covering.
- Leaving Campus: I will mirror the requirements of on-campus living/working (face coverings, physical distancing, etc.) when going off campus and will follow the college’s rules for approved off-campus activities. I will observe local city and state policies regarding safe physical distancing.
- Travel: I will comply with non-essential travel restrictions beginning Jan. 1 before returning to campus. Once I return to campus, I understand that limiting my non-essential travel will help protect the health of my family, friends and the campus community. I understand that the CDC requires anyone who travels internationally to self-quarantine for 14 days and monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.
Guests to Campus: I will follow the college’s rules and, when allowed, ensure that any guest I bring to campus will be aware of and comply with the standards for not being on campus if sick or symptomatic, physical distancing, hand hygiene, and social gatherings.
- Physical Distancing: Recognizing that strict adherence will not always be possible, practical, or necessary, I will take daily precautions to keep space between myself and others (six feet of physical distancing, which is about two arm lengths).
- Observing Space Restrictions: The college has established guidelines for the use of campus buildings. I will adhere to the guidelines for the use of spaces on campus.