We believe that learning while serving others is one of the many benefits the Center for Student Opportunity provides to Alma College students.
Border Awareness Experience 2019
Plaid Serves is pleased to offer the 2019 Border Awareness Experience, hosted by the Annunciation House in El Paso, TX. The Alma College BAE will run December 14-19, 2019.
Annunciation House developed the Border Awareness Experience (BAE) in the early 1990s to facilitate face-to-face encounters between participants and people and groups on both sides of the border. It intends to raise consciousness about the issues facing the border such as immigration, economic development, human rights, and social justice. The BAE also educates North Americans about our roles and responsibilities in today’s globalized world.
Quick Facts About BAE
- All participants, regardless of faith, backgrounds, and beliefs, are welcome.
- The cost to Alma College participants will be $275. This includes transportation, room, board, and programming. A deposit of $150, payable at the Financial Services Office, is due by November 22, 2019. The balance is due by November 27. Students with a strong interest but a financial barrier to participation are encouraged to contact the Chaplain, Andrew Pommerville.
- Accommodation is dormitory style.
- Three meals a day will be provided. Food is simple but filling.
- US citizens will need a passport or original birth certificate. Non-US citizens will need correct documentation or visas.
- Daily reflections/debriefings are an integral part of the BAE.
- Spanish is not required since translation will be provided.
Applications for the Plaid Serves 2019 Border Awareness Experience are now closed. Check back here in early 2020 for information on future BAE opportunities.
Alternative Break opportunities address issues such as urban poverty, migrants and refugees, disaster relief, animal welfare and rural living.
The Outstanding Senior, Leadership and Service Awards were presented at the 2015 Senior Dinner. In addition, the seniors recognized outstanding faculty.