When you’re hired by Alma College, you’re not just getting a job. You’re joining a vibrant, interconnected community of people and gaining access to a wide range of benefits – in every sense of the word.
Comprehensive benefits package
Alma provides a generous benefits package as part of your total compensation.
Medical, dental and vision insurance options are available to full-time employees and their dependents through United Healthcare and Davis Vision.
Alma’s generous retirement package includes an 8% college contribution for eligible full-time and part-time employees into your retirement savings account. We partner with Millennium Advisory to offer employees financial planning and advising as well as education and updates on Alma’s retirement plan.
Experience the value of an Alma College education by attending undergraduate courses right here on campus. Employees are their dependents are eligible for up to 120 undergraduate credits after completing the eligibility period. The tuition benefit covers the cost of the course, and employees and dependents are responsible for course fees, housing, meal plans, and other incidental costs.
Alma College participates in three tuition exchange programs that allow eligible dependents to attend more than 900 colleges and universities across the United States. Dependent students may be eligible for a full tuition scholarship or a scholarship at a set amount determined by the awarding institution. Scholarships are determined by each of the participating institutions.
Eligible employees wishing to continue their education beyond undergraduate coursework are eligible to receive reimbursement for coursework toward their first graduate or first terminal degree at an accredited college or university.
Lifelong learning and professional development will grow your skill set, expand your network, and encourage the use of industry best practices across the college. Alma supports your continued learning in several ways.
- Mandatory trainings in areas like sexual harassment, digital security, campus safety, and diversity and inclusion are facilitated regularly by the Human Resources Office.
- Optional trainings and software access tailored to specific skill sets are also offered through Vector Solutions. Employees may use this opportunity to increase their skills through a variety of workplace trainings.
- Other professional development and training is offered and encouraged by individual departments and offices, and can take place virtually or in person.
- Through the tuition remission program, you can take reduced-cost courses at Alma College, whether for an individual class or additional degree. Employees may be eligible for graduate tuition benefits or scholarships to take courses/certification programs.
You’re welcome here
We draw our strength as an institution from the range of perspectives, ideas and experiences that our students, faculty and staff bring to this community.
- Alma is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion which is included in the college’s strategic plan and reflected in a wide range of campus events and initiatives.
- Alma’s Diversity and Inclusion Office hosts and supports diversity education and social justice workshops, dialogues, and cultural programs throughout the year. They also hold Safe Zone training to educate the campus community and increase awareness of LGBTQ+ identity and issues and unconscious bias training.
- Campus book clubs, guest speakers and trainings provide a forum for faculty and staff to network, learn and find support in discussing ideas and identities.
Supporting the whole person
Alma strives to create a work environment where you feel supported as you care for yourself and your family.
- Employees may be eligible for a leave of absence under the Family Medical Leave Act. The leave provides protection to the employees position and benefits while there are away from work. Leaves may also be paid if any employee is eligible for short term or long term disability.
- Our employee assistance program, facilitated by New Directions can provide support in times of personal and workplace challenges.
- Private and comfortable lactation spaces are available for any employee who needs it.
- There are many places of worship in mid-Michigan to support you spiritually. The Gratiot County Chamber of Commerce publishes an annual guidebook with helpful information about each of them.
- Faculty and staff are also invited to attend regular services or events through our spiritual life program at the Dunning Memorial Chapel.
Access and entertainment
At Alma College, we do more than work together! Faculty and staff are a fixture at the Bookstore and Starbucks coffee shop on campus, Alan J. Stone Center for Recreation, performing arts and athletics events and more. We’re fortunate to support our students while enhancing our own wellbeing, too.
- Employees and their families qualify for free membership to the Alan J. Stone Center for Recreation and Hogan Center Pool. The facility offers wellness education, group fitness, swimming instruction and recreational opportunities to employees, community members and local businesses.
- Attend Alma College performing arts events at the Oscar E. Remick Heritage Center for the Performing Arts free of charge.
- Attend Alma College athletics events free of charge.
- Receive a 10% discount at the Alma College Bookstore on college apparel and more…let’s go, Scots!
Engaging with our local community
Launched in 2021, the Center for College and Community Engagement (3CE) creates collaborative opportunities for the college and community to develop strategic partnerships, share knowledge, and serve mid-Michigan together. Faculty and staff are encouraged to participate in 3CE programs, including service learning, alternative breaks, faculty and staff training programs, curricular programming, and more.
Embracing a sense of place
Alma’s attractive 128-acre campus is located in the city of Alma, approximately one hour north of Lansing. Located in a community of 10,000, Alma College features a walkable campus with historic and contemporary buildings. The campus is a block from downtown Alma and within two hours of Michigan beaches and ski areas. Gratiot and adjacent counties feature plentiful parks, outdoor recreation opportunities, golf courses and shops. The campus is bordered by the 41-mile Fred Meijer Heartland Bike Trail.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.