In the event of a death on campus, Alma College will handle the situation with sensitivity and compassion.
Protocol Action Steps
- If a person is found unresponsive, call 911 immediately. (Treat as Medical Emergency)
- Notify Campus Safety or, if outside normal business hours, the Administrator on Duty (AOD).
- AOD will notify the VP of Student Affairs or Director of Campus Life (DCL).
- VP of Student Life or DCL will notify the president of situation. The president or designee will convene the CMT.
- Do not disturb the scene. Do not touch or move anything. Secure the area.
- If after normal business hours, the AOD establishes the perimeter. Do not permit entry until Emergency Services (Police/EMS) arrive.
- All inquiries related to the death shall be referred to the Associate Vice President for Communications.
- The CMT and the college chaplain will coordinate plans for conducting memorial services as appropriate following consultation with parents, friends of the deceased, college officials, and Student Life staff.
- CMT will notify appropriate offices e.g. registrar, financial aid, advancement, admissions, ITS, etc. to record the death and respond according to their office protocols.
Individuals to Add to Crisis Management Team
- Director of Counseling and Wellness
Note: Mid-Michigan Medical Center – Gratiot
- Campus Safety or the AOD is identified as initial college contact for the hospital.
- The hospital will normally handle next of kin notifications.
- The hospital will hold the deceased until funeral arrangements are made.