In the event of a death on campus, Alma College will handle the situation with sensitivity and compassion.
Protocol Action Steps
- If a person is found unresponsive, call 911 immediately (treat as medical emergency).
- Notify Campus Safety or, if outside normal business hours, the administrator on duty.
- The administrator on duty will notify the vice president of student life or director of campus life.
- The vice president of student life or the director of campus life will notify the president of situation. The president or designee will convene the crisis management team.
- Do not disturb the scene. Do not touch or move anything. Secure the area.
- If after normal business hours, the administrator on duty establishes the perimeter. Do not permit entry until emergency services (police/EMS) arrive.
- All inquiries related to the death shall be referred to the associate vice president for communications.
- The crisis management team and the college chaplain will coordinate plans for conducting memorial services as appropriate following consultation with parents, friends of the deceased, college officials, and student life staff.
- The crisis management team will notify appropriate offices e.g. registrar, financial aid, advancement, admissions, ITS, etc. to record the death and respond according to their office protocols.
Individuals to Add to Crisis Management Team
- Director of counseling and wellness
Note: Mid-Michigan Medical Center – Gratiot
- Campus Safety or the administrator on duty is identified as initial college contact for the hospital.
- The hospital will normally handle next of kin notifications.
- The hospital will hold the deceased until funeral arrangements are made.