An active shooter is a person who is actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area. An active shooter can strike anytime and the events are unpredictable and rapidly changing. Most active shooter situations only last 10-15 minutes.
The A.L.I.C.E Run Hide Fight System for an Active Shooter Threat
A.L.I.C.E. stands for: Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, and Evacuate.
Watch the ALICE training presentation:
Your first option should be to safely escape the danger zone. Remember to leave belongings behind, your life is more important.
Alma evacuation points-
- Alma First Church of God located on 200 W Superior St, Alma, MI 48801
- First Presbyterian Church located on 495 Charles Ave, Alma, MI 48801
Hide as a second option if you cannot escape the danger zone. Do not huddle in large groups, it creates a larger target. Lock, barricade doors, turn off lights, and close windows.
Fighting should be your last option if you have no other way to escape and your life is in immediate danger. Objects in your environment can be great options to use as weapons to defend yourself against an attacker. Overwhelming the attacker through sheer numbers can be an effective strategy.
During an active shooter situation remaining calm and prepared until help arrives will greatly increase your survival rate. It may seem like help is never going to arrive, remember that first responders are acting as quickly as possible to rescue you. Remember it is ultimately up to law enforcement to stop the threat. Making sure you are safe is their number one priority.
What to do when law enforcement arrives:
- Remain calm and follow instructions.
- Do not attempt to assist unless specifically asked to do so by law enforcement personnel.
- Slowly put down any items in your hands (e.g., bags, jackets).
- Raise hands and spread fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid quick movements toward officers, such as holding on to them for safety.
- Avoid pointing, screaming, or yelling.
- Do not stop to ask officers for help or direction when evacuating, as they will be focused on finding and incapacitating the shooter to prevent further loss of life. Not adhering to officers’ instructions puts everyone in danger.