Education and work experience
- B.S. Exercise and Health Science, Mathematics; Alma College (2006-2010)
- Ph.D. Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology; Michigan State University (2010-2014)
- Adjunct Professor; Alma College (2013-2014)
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Exercise Physiology; Ball State University (2014-2016)
- Assistant Professor of Integrative Physiology and Health Science; Alma College (2016-present)
My career at Alma began in
I teach in the Clinical Exercise Physiology track of the IPHS major. Students choosing this track have a number of job opportunities available right out of undergrad, including working in cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation and corporate wellness programs. To those interested in pursuing graduate degrees in clinical exercise physiology, many programs offer assistantships which pay for the cost of the education plus offer a stipend while students are in the program.
My main research area involves physical activity monitoring devices. I study the accuracy and reliability of various physical activity monitors and also use them as intervention tools to help individuals become more physically active.
- Montoye AH, Pfeiffer KA, Alaimo K, Betz HH, Paek HJ, Carlson JJ, Eisenmann JC. Junk food consumption and screen time: Association with childhood adiposity. Am J Health Behav. 2013; 37(3): 395-403. DOI: 10.5993/AJHB.37.3.12
- Dong B, Montoye A, Moore R, Pfeiffer K, Biswas S. Energy-aware activity classification using wearable sensor networks. SPIE Defense, Security, and Sensing paper. 2013; 870230Y-87230Y-7. DOI: 10.1117/12.2018134
- Dong B, Biswas S, Montoye A, Pfeiffer K. Comparing metabolic energy expenditure estimation using wearable multi-sensor network and single accelerometer. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, EMBC paper. 2013; 35: 2866-2869. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2013.6610138
- Dong B, Montoye A, Biswas S, Pfeiffer K. Metabolic energy expenditure estimation using a position-agnostic wearable sensor system. Healthcare Innovation Conference (HIC) paper. 2014; 34-37. DOI: 10.1109/HIC.2014.7038868
- Montoye AH, Dong B, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Use of a wireless network of accelerometers for improved measurement of human energy expenditure. Electronics. 2014; 3(2): 205-220. DOI: 10.3390/electronics3020205
- Montoye AH, Pfeiffer KA, Suton D, Trost SG. Evaluating the responsiveness of accelerometry to detect change in physical activity. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2014; 18(4): 273-285. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2014.942454
- Kaminsky LA, Montoye AHK. Physical activity and health: What is the best dose? J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3(4): 1-4. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.114.001430
- ^Montoye AHK, Mudd LA, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Energy expenditure prediction using raw accelerometer data in simulated free living. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015; 47(8): 1735-1746. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000597
- Donaldson S, Kaminsky LA, Tuttle M, Montoye AHK. Variability of objectively measured sedentary behavior. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016; 48(4): 755-761. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000828
- Montoye AHK, Pivarnik JM, Mudd LM, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Validation and comparison of accelerometers worn on the hip, thigh, and wrists for measuring physical activity and sedentary behavior. AIMS Public Health. 2016; 3(2): 298-312. DOI: 10.3934/publichealth.2016.2.298
- Tuttle M, Montoye AHK, Kaminsky LA. The benefits of body mass index and waist circumference in the assessment of health risk. Health Fitness J. 2016 Jul-Aug; 20(4): 15-20. DOI: 10.1249/FIT.0000000000000217
- Kaminsky LA, Brubaker PH, Guazzi M, Lavie CJ, Montoye AHK, Sanderson B, Savage P. Assessing physical activity as a core component in cardiac rehabilitation: A position statement of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2016; 34(4): 217-229. DOI: 10.1097/HCR.0000000000000191
- Nelson MB, Kaminsky LA, Dickin DC, Montoye AHK. Validity of consumer-based physical activity monitors for specific activity types. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016; 48 (8): 1619-2628. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000933
- Montoye AHK, Pivarnik JM, Mudd LM, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Comparison of activity type classification accuracy from accelerometers worn on the hip, wrists, and thigh in apparently healthy adults. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2016; 20(3): 173-183. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2016.1192038
- Mackintosh KA, Montoye AHK, Pfeiffer KA, McNarry MA. Investigating optimal accelerometer placement for energy expenditure prediction in children using a machine learning approach.. Phys Meas. 2016; 37(10): 1728-1740. DOI: 10.1088/0967-3334/37/10/1728
- Montoye AHK, Pivarnik JM, Mudd LA, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Wrist-independent energy expenditure prediction models from raw accelerometer data. Phys Meas.2016; 37(10): 1770-1784. DOI: 10.1088/0967-3334/37/10/1770
- Montoye AHK, Dong B, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Validation of a wireless accelerometer network for energy expenditure measurement. J Sports Sci. 2016; 34(21): 2130-2139. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2016.1151924
- ^^Montoye AHK, Begum M, Henning Z, Pfeiffer KA. Comparison of linear and non-linear models for predicting energy expenditure from raw accelerometer data. Phys Meas. 2017; 38(2): 343-357. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6579/38/2/343
- Imboden MT, Welch WA, Swartz AM, Montoye AHK, Harber MP, Kaminsky LA. Reference standards for body fat measures using GE dual energy x-ray absorptiometry. PLoS ONE. 2017; 12(4):e0175110. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0175110
- Bock JM, Kaminsky LA, Harber MP, Montoye AHK. Determining the reliability of several consumer-based physical activity monitors. Technologies. 2017; 5(47): 1-14. DOI: 10.3390/technologies5030047
- Montoye AHK, Mitrzyk JR, Molesky MJ. Comparative accuracy of a wrist-worn activity tracker and a smart shirt for physical activity assessment. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2017; 21(4): 201-211. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2017.1331166
- Montoye AHK, Conger SC, Connolly CP, Imboden MT, Nelson MB, Bock JM, Kaminsky LA. Validation of accelerometer-based energy expenditure prediction models in structured and simulated free-living settings. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2017; 21(4) 223-234. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2017.1337638
- Montoye AHK, Pivarnik JM, Mudd LM, Biswas S, Pfeiffer KA. Evaluation of the activPAL accelerometer for physical activity and energy expenditure estimation in a semi-structured setting. J Sci Med Sport. 2017; 20(11): 1003-1007. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2017.04.011
- Montoye AHK, Nelson MB, Bock JM, Imboden MT, Kaminsky LA, Mackintosh KA, McNarry MA, Pfeiffer KA. Raw and count data comparability of hip-worn ActiGraph GT3X+ and Link accelerometers. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2018; 50(5): 1103-1112. DOI: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001534
- Montoye AHK, Vusich J, Mitrzyk J, Wiersma M. Heart rate alters, but does not improve, Calorie prediction in Fitbit activity monitors. J Meas Phys Behav. 2018; 1(1): 9-17. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0003
- Montoye AHK, Westgate BS, Fonley MR, Pfeiffer KA. Cross-validation and out-of-sample testing of physical activity intensity predictions using a wrist-worn accelerometer. J Appl Physiol. 2018; 124(5): 1284-1293. DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00760.2017
- Imboden MT, Nelson MB, Kaminsky LA, Montoye AHK. Comparison of four Fitbit and Jawbone activity monitors to a research-grade ActiGraph accelerometer for estimating physical activity and energy expenditure. Br J Sports Med. 2018; 2(13): 844-850. DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096990
- Marshall MR, Montoye AHK, George, A. Pregnancy walking cadence does not vary by trimester. Gait Posture. 2018; 65: 81-85. DOI: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2018.06.175.
- Clevenger KA, Moore RW, Suton D, Montoye AHK, Trost SG, Pfeiffer KA. Accelerometer responsiveness to change between structured and unstructured physical activity in children and adolescents. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2018; 22(3), 224-230. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2017.1419956
- Montoye AHK, Moore RM, Bowles HR, Korycinski R, Pfeiffer KA. Reporting accelerometer methods in physical activity intervention studies: A systematic review and recommendations for authors. Br J Sports Med. 2018; 52: 1507-1516. DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2015-095947
- Swalve N, Harfmann BD, Mitrzyk JM, Montoye AHK. Utility of activity monitors and thermometry in assessing sleep stages and sleep quality. J Meas Phys Behav. 2018; 1(3): 108-121. DIO: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0012
- Razon S, Wallace AK, Ballesteros J, Koontz N, Judge LW, Montoye AHK. Perceptions of physical activity tracking devices: A survey analysis. Phys Educator. 2019; 76: 211-237. DOI: 10.18666/TPE-2019-V76-I1-8470
- Montoye AHK, Conger SC, Mitrzyk JR, Beach C, Fox AK, Steeves JA. Test-retest and inter-monitor reliability of the Atlas activity monitor for assessing resistance training exercises. J Meas Phys Behav. 2019; 2(1): 28-35. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0071
- Montoye AHK, Mitrzyk JR. Validity of the Blast Athletic Performance monitor for assessing vertical jump height in female volleyball players. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2019; 23(2): 99-109. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2018.1539739.
- Clevenger KA, Molesky MJ, Vusich J, Montoye AHK. Free-living comparison of physical activity and sleep data from Fitbit activity trackers worn on the dominant and non-dominant wrists. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2019; 23(2): 194-204. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2019.1577737.
- Kingsley MIC, Nawaratne R, O’Halloran PD, Montoye AHK, Alahakoon D, De Silva D, Staley K, Nicholson M. Wrist-specific accelerometry methods for estimating free-living energy expenditure. J Sci Med Sport. 2019; 22(6): 677-683. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2018.12.003.
- Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Mackintosh KA, McNarry MA, Brond D, Arvidsson D, Montoye AHK. Effect of sampling rate on acceleration and counts of hip- and wrist-worn ActiGraph accelerometers in children. Physiol Meas. 2019; 40(9): 095008. DOI: 10.1088/1361-6579/ab444b.
- Montoye AHK, Pfeiffer KA, Clevenger KA, Mackintosh KA, McNarry MA. Cross-validation and comparison of energy expenditure prediction models using count-based and raw accelerometer data in youth. J Meas Phys Behav. 2019; 2(4): 237-246. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0011
- Montoye AHK, Dahmen J, Campbell N, Connolly CP. Accuracy of physical activity monitors for steps and Calorie measurement during pregnancy walking. J Meas Phys Behav. 2019; 2(3): 143-156. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2018-0067
- Steeves JA, Conger SA, Mitrzyk JR, Perry T, Montoye AHK. Using the wrist-worn Atlas Wristband2 monitor to objectively measure resistance training exercises. J Meas Phys Behav. 2019; 2(4): 218-227. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2019-0012
- Conger SA, Steeves JA, Boss D, Anderson A, Montoye AHK. Validity of a wrist-worn activity monitor during resistance training exercises at different movement speeds. J Meas Phys Behav. 2019; 2(4): 247-255. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2019-0025
- Connolly CP, Conger SA, Montoye AHK, Marshall MR, Schlaff RA, Badon SE, Pivarnik JM. Walking for health during pregnancy: A literature review and considerations for future research. J Sport Health Sci. 2019; 8(5): 401-411. DOI: 10.1016/j.jshs.2018.11.004
- Raymond CJ, Madar TJ, Montoye AHK. Accuracy of the Babolat Pop sensor for assessment of tennis strokes in structured and match play settings. J Sport Hum Performance. 2019; 7(1): 1-10. DOI: 10.12922/jshp.v7i1.146
- Marshall MR, Montoye AHK, Conway MR, Schlaff RA, Pfeiffer KA, Pivarnik JM. Longitudinal changes in walking cadence across pregnancy and postpartum. Gait Post. 2020; 79(2020): 234-238. DOI: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.05.012
- Connolly CP, Dahmen JB, Catena RD, Campbell NH, Montoye AHK. Physical activity monitor accuracy for overground walking and free-living conditions among pregnant women. J Meas Phys Behav. 2020; 3(2): 100-109. DOI: 10.1123/jmpb.2019-0059
- Lazar DM, Begum M, Murshed MM, Nelson MB, Bock JM, Imboden MT, Kaminsky LA, Montoye AHK. Statistical learning methods to predict activity intensity from body-worn accelerometers. J Biomed Analytics. 2020; 3(1): 27-50. DOI: 10.30577/jba.v3i1.57
- Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Montoye AHK. Cross-generational comparability of raw and count-based metrics from ActiGraph GT9X and wGT3X-BT accelerometers during free-living in youth. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2020; 24(3): 194-204. DOI: 10.1080/1091367X.2020.1773827
- Lisee C, Montoye AHK, Lewallen F, Hernandez M, Bell D, Kuenze C. Assessment of free-living cadence using ActiGraph accelerometers among individuals with and without ACL reconstruction. J Athl Train. 2020; 55(9): 994-1000. DOI: 10.4085/1062-6050-425-19
- Harfmann BD, Swalve N, Mitrzyk JM, Montoye AHK. Effect of chronotype on sleep quality in a laboratory setting. Int J Exerc Sci. 2020; 13(3): 1283-1294. DOI:
- Montoye AHK, Mitchinson CJ, Townsend OR, Nemmers CH, Serkaian CN, Rider BC. Ischemic preconditioning does not improve time trial performance in recreational runners. Int J Exerc Sci. 2020; 13(6): 1402-1417. DOI:
- Montoye AHK, Vondrasek JD, Hancock JB. Validity and reliability of the VO2 Master Pro for oxygen consumption and ventilation assessment. Int J Exerc Sci. 2020; 13(4): 1382-1401. DOI:
- Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Montoye AHK. Cross-generational comparability of hip- and wrist-worn ActiGraph GT3X+, wGT3X-BT, and GT9X accelerometers during free-living in adults. J Sports Sci. 2020; 38 (24): 2794-2802. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1801320.
- Montoye AHK, Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Nelson MB, Bock JM, Imboden MT, Kaminsky LA. Development of cut-points for determining activity intensity from a wrist-worn ActiGraph accelerometer in free-living adults. J Sports Sci. 2020; 38(22): 2569-2578. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1794244.
- Beach C, Montoye AHK, Steeves JA. Differences in physical activity during walking and playing Pokémon Go. Games Health J. 2021; 10(2): 130-138. DOI: 10.1089/g4h.2020.0070.
- Montoye AHK, Mithen AA, Westra HL, Besteman SS, Rider BC. The effect of compression socks on maximal exercise performance and recovery in insufficiently active adults. Int J Exerc Sci. 2021; 14(7): 1036-1051. DOI:
- Nawaratne R, Alahakoon D, De Silva D, O’Halloran PD, Montoye AHK, Staley K, Nicholson M, Kingsley MIC. Deep learning to predict energy expenditure and activity intensity in free living conditions using wrist-specific accelerometry. J Sports Sci. 2021; 39(6): 683-690. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2020.1841394.
- Montoye AHK, Westgate BS, Clevenger KA, Pfeiffer KA, Vondrasek JD, Fonley MR, Bock JM, Kaminsky LA. Individual vs. group calibration of machine learning models for physical activity assessment using body-worn accelerometers. Med Sci Sports Exerc. In press.
- Marshall MR, Montoye AHK, Conway MR, Schlaff RA, Pfeiffer KA, Pivarnik JM. Location, location, location: Accelerometer placement affects steps-based physical activity outcomes during pregnancy and postpartum. Am J Lifestyle Med. In press.
- Montoye AH (June 2013). Use of a thigh-mounted accelerometer to improve measurement of physical activity and sedentary behavior. Michigan State University College of Education – Graduate Research Fellowship. $2,040. Principal investigator.
- Montoye AH, Pfeiffer KA (July 2013). Improving health and wellbeing through improved assessment of sedentary behaviors. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Foundation – Student Award Program Grant. $3,000.00. Principal investigator.
- Nelson MB, Montoye AHK (January 2015). Activity specific validity of consumer-based physical activity monitors. ASPiRE Graduate Student Grant. $500. Principal investigator.
- Montoye AHK (February 2015). Prediction of free-living physical activity and sedentary behavior using accelerometer-based activity monitors. College of Applied Sciences and Technology – Ball State University Internal Grant. $2,940. Principal investigator.
- Montoye AHK (April 2015). Prediction of free-living energy expenditure using accelerometers and machine learning. ASPiRE Internal Grant Program – Junior Faculty Research Competition. $12,520. Principal investigator.
- Montoye AHK, Rees T, Thurmond A, Masley K, Shafley B, Freeland T (April 2017). Alma College new EIM seed grant. Midwest ACSM New Exercise is Medicine Seed Grant. $500. Principal investigator.
- Cheatham M, Hoyt R, Hensler S, Bader L, Havlicek B, Montoye AHK (April 2019). Gratiot Isabella Prescription for Health. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Community Health Matching Grant Program. $49,500 (~$10,200 to Alma College). Coinvestigator.
- Molesky M, Montoye AHK. Impact of Ultramarathoner Pack Weight and Load Positioning on Race Completion Time. MWACSM Undergraduate Student Research Study Project Award. $300. Principal investigator.