Thirty-six credits (thirty-four of which must be beyond SPN-203) and which must include:
- Successful completion of SPN-321.
- At least four credits at the 400 level.
- At least four credits from each of the following groups:
- Spain Culture and Civilization — SPN-350, 355, 261/361
- Latin American Culture and Civilization — SPN-334, 352, 364, 374, 263/363
- Literature — SPN-331, 340, 343, 344, 360, 362, 370, 372, 373, 460, 462
- Successful completion of ENG-225 and EDC-445F.
- A minimum of one semester of approved international study in a Spanish-speaking country.
- Students will write and defend in open forum an acceptable paper of moderate length reflecting on their study of Spanish, study abroad experience and how both concepts combine with the mission of a liberal arts education.
In order to be recommended for teacher certification, students must pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification subject area test in Spanish as well as ACTFL’s OPI at the Advanced-Low level. The Teacher Education Program is proactive about informing students of opportunities for taking these tests.