Thirty-six credits at the 200 level or above which must include:
- Sixteen credits (16 cr) of upper-level Spanish classes with at least four credits at the 400 level
- Successful completion of WLC 101
- Successful completion of English cognate: 4 credits from ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 220, or ENG 320.
- Students should be aware that a maximum of 6 credits (including WLC 101) may be taken wherein the primary language of instruction is English; course should be pre-approved by the WLC department.
- A minimum of one semester of approved international study in a Spanish-speaking country.
- Language Proficiency must be demonstrated by taking an approved external proficiency exam. Majors are expected to perform at the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Advanced Low proficiency level as (averaged across the four skills listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Students will write and defend, in open forum, an acceptable paper of moderate length reflecting on their study of Spanish, study abroad experience and how the role of language and culture combines with the mission of a liberal arts education.