Thirty-six credits beyond FRN-112, which must include:
- Sixteen credits of upper-level French classes.
- Successful completion of WLC 101;
- Students should be aware that a maximum of 6 credits (including WLC 101) may be taken wherein the primary language of instruction is English; courses must be pre-approved by the WLC department.
- A minimum of one semester of approved international study in a French-speaking country.
- Successful completion of English cognate: 4 credits from ENG 201, ENG 202, ENG 220, ENG 225, or ENG 320
- Language Proficiency must be demonstrated by taking an approved external proficiency exam. Majors are expected to perform at the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Advanced Low proficiency level (as averaged across the four skills listening, speaking, reading, writing).
- Students will write and defend in open forum an acceptable paper of moderate length reflecting on their study of French, study abroad experience and how the role of language and culture combines with the mission of a liberal arts education.