In addition to completing appropriate coursework in the Education Department and in the majors and minors, students must meet Alma College graduation requirements and demonstrate personal characteristics suitable for entering the teaching profession.
ELEMENTARY OPTION 2: Comprehensive Major must include all of the following:
- Elementary Education Major — 60 credits of required EDC courses including: 36 credits of Professional Sequence courses and 24 credits of Elementary Education Content and Pedagogy courses (see above). A 2.5 GPA is required for the Elementary Education certification major and no course for certification may be taken Pass/Fail, except for 1 credit placement classes, or be graded below a 2.0 (C).
- Either a Teaching Major in Spanish (36 cr), or a Minor in Early Childhood (ZS) (24 cr), or a K-12 major in Special Education — Learning Disabilities (36 cr). No course for certification may be taken Pass/Fail, except for 1 credit placement classes, or be graded below a 2.0 (C). A 2.5 GPA is required for each certification major and/or minor, except the K-12 Special Education - Learning Disabilities major, which requires a 2.75 GPA.
- As Cognates, a Comprehensive Program of 30 credits of required Elementary Education Content courses which must include the following:
No course required for certification may be taken Pass/Fail or be graded below a 2.0 (C).
- BIO-101 (4 cr)
- PSC-101 (4 cr)
- MTH-202 (4 cr)
- HST-104, 121 or 254 (4 cr)
- HST-206 (4 cr)
- HUM-110 (4 cr)
- IPH-271A (2 cr)
- ENG-225 (4 cr)
- An overall GPA of 2.75 is required for Alma College to recommend a student for certification.
- The MTTC Test in Elementary Education (passing score required for certification). Note: Elementary candidates must pass State tests in their Specialty Area Endorsement (major or minor) to be certified in these areas. For initial certification, MTTC subject-area passing scores will remain valid for five years.
- Students must provide proof of valid CPR and First Aid cards as required by the Michigan Department of Education for certification.