This certificate permits teaching in grades K-5 all subjects and K-8 self-contained classrooms, and, if desired, 6-8 in a content area minor or major.
Elementary Education majors may complete certification requirements for Option 1: Core Subject OR Option 2: Comprehensive Major.
Students may elect to add an endorsement from either Option in addition to completing Option 1 or Option 2.
ELEMENTARY OPTION 1: Core Subject must include all of the following:
- Elementary Education Major — 60 credits of required EDC courses including 36 credits of Professional Sequence courses and 24 credits of Elementary Education Content and Pedagogy courses (see above). A 2.5 GPA is required for the Elementary Education certification major and no course for certification may be taken Pass/Fail, except for 1 credit placement classes, or be graded below a 2.0 (C).
- Either a Teaching Major or two Teaching Minors selected from the following:
- Social Studies Group Major.
- Integrated Science Group Major or Group Minor.
- Language Arts Group Major or Group Minor.
- Elementary Mathematics Major or Minor
- As Cognates, a Planned Program of Elementary Education Content courses which must include the following:
- MTH-202 (4 cr)
- HUM-110 (4 cr)
- HST-104, 121 or 254 (American History, 4 cr)
- IPH-271A (2 cr)
- BIO-101 (4 cr)
- HST-206 (4 cr)
- ENG-225 (4 cr)
- PSC-101 (4 cr) (Note: Integrated Science majors/minors take other required courses)
- An overall GPA of 2.75 is required for Alma College to recommend a student for certification.
- The MTTC Test in Elementary Education (passing score required for certification). Note: Elementary candidates must pass State tests in their Specialty Area Endorsement (major or minor) to be certified in these areas. For initial certification, MTTC subject-area passing scores will remain valid for five years.
- Students must provide proof of valid CPR and First Aid cards as required by the Michigan Department of Education for certification.