Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach - Part Time
FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 6 months, part time, temporary
Responsible for assisting the head coach with the intercollegiate basketball program, including but not limited to: coaching, recruiting qualified student athletes, fundraising, camps, developing schedules, budget management, building community support for the program, monitoring academic progress of student athletes, and knowledge of applicable NCAA rules.
Reports to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach and supervises Student Assistants.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: may include, but not limited to the following:
• Assist in overseeing all aspects of the program, including practices, competition and scheduling.
• Assist in the recruiting plan of the program, evaluate and recruit qualified student athletes.
• Assist in fundraising activities to enhance program.
• Monitor class schedules, grades and academic progress of program student athletes.
• Model good sportsmanship and enforce sportsmanlike behavior among student athletes.
• Assist administration with alumni relations.
• Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the MIAA, and the NCAA with the utmost integrity.
• Work cooperatively with personnel in athletic department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
• Support the philosophy and mission of the College and the athletic department.
• Develop student-athletes to be contributing members to the campus community and the community at large.
• Other duties as assigned by head men’s basketball coach or athletic director.
• Bachelor’s degree required with collegiate level playing and/or coaching experience.
• Candidates must have the ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Knowledge of NCAA and MIAA conference rules.
• Excellent written and oral skills, knowledge of computer applications, organizational abilities, event planning and camps, fund raising, financial management.
• Recruiting ability and demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse populations.
• Must be willing to actively participate in practices and must be able to work weekends/evenings and travel.
• Knowledge of NCAA Division III and MIAA compliance and conference rules, and an understanding of the NCAA Division III student athlete philosophy.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College employment application, a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers to Sarah Dehring, Athletics Director, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Alma College is classified as a selective Baccalaureate College: Diverse Fields by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders, Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.