Assistant Director of Residence Life Operations
FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salary; Exempt; Administrative, 12 months
DEPARTMENT: Student Life
The Assistant Director of Residence Life Operations is responsible for managing our residential operation which serves about 1300 students, in partnership with the assistant vice president for student engagement. These operations include opening, closing, accommodations, residency requirement exemptions, and housing selection; this position also will have direct oversight of our apartment and small house facilities including building management, assignments, and staff supervision. The assistant director of residence life operations will partner closely with the residence life staff to create a safe, healthy living environment in which our students can learn and find belonging. This position is provided with an on-campus apartment, but may choose to live off campus within a 25-mile radius.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED/SUPERVISION EXERCISED:
The assistant director reports directly to the assistant vice president for student engagement and indirectly to the vice president for student affairs. The Assistant director directly supervises one graduate intern and indirectly supervises apartment and house managers.
• Coordinate all summer student housing including graduate residencies.
• Coordinate room selection and assist residence life staff with mid-year room change processes.
• Assist in the planning and implementation of move in and move out processes.
• Collaborate with Facilities and Service management to ensure smooth, effective, and safe operation of all residential spaces.
• Create an independent living environment in apartments and college-owned houses that supports student success, retention, persistence, and development through the area staff.
• Participate in program development and implementation in partnership with Residence Life and Student Affairs.
• Manage fiscal resources for their residential area.
• Provide developmentally appropriate supervision for undergraduate and graduate student staff.
• Participate in an emergency on call rotation.
• Participate as a member of sector and/or campus teams or committees as requested or as mutually agreeable.
• Communicate and collaborate frequently with Alma College faculty, staff, and students to help better meet the needs of students.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• Two or more years of professional experience in residence life or related work.
• Experience with housing and residential operations.
• Knowledge of student development, learning principles, and retention strategies.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Available to work weekends and evenings.
• Master’s degree in a related field.
• Experience managing housing operations, particularly with small, theme, and/or apartment housing.
• Supervisory experience.
• Able to work at a computer for extended periods.
• Able to respond quickly to emergencies at various locations across campus.
Competitive salary and benefit package commensurate with experience and qualifications. Furnished apartment and partial meal plan provided. Option to live off campus within a 25-mile radius.
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Incomplete application files will not be considered. For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employmentapplication.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s graduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.