Head Men’s Wrestling Coach
FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salary; Exempt; Administrative, 12 months
The Head Men’s Wrestling Coach is responsible for all aspects of coaching
the team including recruiting, fitness training, practice, competition and travel. The head coach will advocate for the importance of the wrestling program within the campus community, as well as the larger Alma community, and will serve as a role model of the high standards expected of our students. A successful candidate will have experience recruiting students, as well as cultivating friends of the various programs to meet enrollment and fundraising goals. The successful candidate will demonstrate and support a commitment and sensitivity to diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity. This position reports directly to the Vice President /Director of Athletics.
• Using the college’s mission and strategic plan as a guideline to develop and direct wrestling programs.
• Ensure an environment that promotes student safety.
• Work with Associate Athletics Director and Center for Student Success to monitor
progress and eligibility of all student-athletes.
• Work with Athletics Director and Admissions staff to establish annual recruitment
• Cultivate positive relationships with students and their families.
• Develop a positive relationship with and play an active role in college and community events and programs.
• Work collaboratively with Student Services and Residence Life staff with respect to student needs and any issues related to student behavior.
• Ensure institutional compliance with the various governing bodies for the wrestling program including USA Wrestling and the National Collegiate Wrestling Association.
• Collaborate with Athletics Director in establishing a fundraising plan for wrestling
programs that meets the department’s annual fundraising goals and aligns with the
college’s overall fundraising strategy.
• Prepare the annual budget for wrestling program.
• Develop practice schedules and a weight training/fitness program as appropriate.
• Ensure the highest ethical, moral standards for all aspects of the college’s programs.
• In coordination with auxiliary services and athletics, promote and manage a summer camp program that helps to achieve the fundraising goals of the department.
• Dependent on experience, administrative duties may be assigned and compensated.
• Any and all other duties as assigned by the Athletics Director.
• Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience coaching wrestlers in both and individual and team capacity.
• Ability to perform physical tasks associated with coaching a collegiate level wrestling program.
• Firm commitment to a student-centered culture and the academic success of students are essential.
• Excellent computer, written and oral communication skills.
• Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license, related insurance and good driving
• Hold or willing to seek a bronze level certification with USA Wrestling.
• Demonstrated success in developing and executing strategic planning.
• Experience in identifying and recruiting student athletes.
• Experienced manager of people and budgets.
• Ability to cultivate alumni and booster participation.
• Proven fund-raising experience to support programs.
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College employment application, a current résumé, and contact information for three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.