FLSA EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Salaried; Exempt; Administrative; 12 months
With a proud history and traditions that extend back to 1886, Alma College is a leading liberal arts college in the Midwest Region with an alumni base of 14,000, most of whom reside in Michigan. Alma alumni of every era whose lives have been enriched by their experiences on campus have a collective power to ensure that future generations of students can share that transforming bond. Building upon the success of the “Our Time is Now” campaign that raised a record $125 million, the Senior Director of Development will take a leadership role along with the president of the college, vice president for advancement, and the advancement team to secure support for college priorities including the annual fund, endowment, planned gifts, and capital projects.
• Actively manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to the cultivation and securing of support from assigned prospects and constituency.
• Work collaboratively with advancement teammates, college partners, and volunteers to identify priorities and develop strategies for identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major gift prospects.
• Assist in overall constituency engagement including the planning, execution, and
attendance at internal and external events.
• Be an active participant in individual and team professional development through
conferences, seminars/webinars, and contact with other advancement colleagues.
• Provide mentoring to entry level development staff.
• Manage projects and provide leadership for fundraising initiatives.
• Goal orientation with a high level of energy, enthusiasm, and dedication to the mission and goals of the College.
• Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor communications and visits.
• Ability to build and sustain relationships.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively, accept responsibility, and motivate colleagues, volunteers, and donors.
• Strong communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Computer literacy, including familiarity with social media, virtual visit tools such as Zoom, word processing, spreadsheets, and database software programs.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Five or more years of major gift officer experience
• Experienced in establishing priorities and management of projects
• Experience and demonstrated success in one or more of the following fields: fundraising, marketing, communications, sales
• Ability to travel in and out of state
• Ability to work weekends and evenings
• Ability to handle confidential information
• Fundraising and / or higher education experience.
• Experience with campaign planning and implementation, annual giving, major, and planned gifts.
• Graduate degree or Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) certification.
• Traveling independently in and out-of-state
• Sitting at a desk for up to 8 hours
• Lifting up to 20 pounds
Interested candidates shall submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to email@example.com. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and the development of responsible leaders. Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.