Alma College is accepting applications for the Business Program Experiential Learning Coordinator position.
Position Summary: Promote the experiential opportunities (internships, consultative and civic engagement, etc.) as an integral, valued element of the learning experience for all Business program majors. Develop, maintain, and enhance an infrastructure that supports the student internship as a meaningful growth experience in partnership with Career Services and Experiential Learning. Coordinate a systematic approach that fosters informed, effective involvement of all parties (i.e., students, faculty, administrators, alumni, and employers) within the context of mutual commitment and responsibility. Assess the contribution the internship experience makes to achievement of learning outcome goals, identifying and implementing means of improving that contribution. Experiential and cooperative education is expected to grow as an integral part of the academic experience at Alma College. Our hope is the person in this role will be entrepreneurial, and both a mentor and teacher, to help enrich the learning that happens in the classroom by providing a robust set of practical experiences. The role will collaborate with college faculty, leadership, and the business community to guide students in the integration of their experiential and academic experiences.
Employer outreach is essential to the role, and the position will work to develop new partnerships by connecting with industry professionals in related fields at a prioritized list of sites and with alumni. Activities to support this endeavor include site visits to new and existing employers, outreach to potential employer partners, and active participation in relevant professional organizations. High-level customer-orientation, strong presentation skills, and experience in building and maintaining partnerships is essential.
The position will guide students through their career development, preparing students for the required internship by developing, implementing, and leading a series of internship-related seminars, and through individual career coaching and advising meetings. Preparation includes teaching interviewing skills, resume writing, professional behavior and communication, engineering ethics, and other relevant learning objectives. They also maintain contact with students while engaged in their experience and provide an opportunity for students to reflect about their internship experiences Additionally, it is critical the position work closely with admissions and engages in related service activities including delivering presentations to prospective students and newly admitted students, participating in committees and task forces, advising/supporting a student club, or contributing to a professional society.
Essential Functions: Coordinate the internship process for all Business programs where support is needed.
- Maintain all web-based products (information, manuals, forms, guides) for both students and employers
- Counsel students regarding job search, internships available, resume writing, internship professionalism, required paperwork and reporting
- Maintain documentation for assessment of student achievement
- Counsel employers regarding their roles in documenting student achievement.
- Perform classroom and student orientation presentations guiding students towards their internship(s)
- Conduct site visits and ensure relationships deepen with employers
- Promote internships and support faculty engagement in developing placements.
- Maintain employer data base and provide access to students and programs
- Maintain and deepen existing relationships with alumni, and foster new ones
- Utilize LinkedIn, Indeed, and other current social media platforms, HandShake, Canvas and SharePoint to inform students about opportunities
- Establish Alma College presence among professional organizations and attend meetings
- Maintain a partnership with Alma College Career Services to collaborate regarding internship employment opportunities
- Attend Business Advisory Board meetings to provide and receive information about Internships
- Provide programs to raise students’ awareness about internships.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- MBA or related Master’s preferred, or a Bachelor’s Degree, from an accredited college or university
- Strong communication skills (interpersonal and written)
- Ability to maintain a database of student achievement and employers.
- Ability to connect and build relationships with current and prospective students, employers, and alumni
Experience creating, managing, and assessing events and/or programs
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with
community-based organizations and offices
A valid driver’s license and good driving record
Self-motivated and goal-oriented
Ability to work both independently as well as part of a team
Supervision Received/ Supervision Exercised:
- Position reports to the provost
- Supervises student assistants
- Must be able to work at a computer for several hours at a time
- Must be able to make presentations
- Some overnight travel
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College employment application, a letter of interest, a current résumé, and the name, address, e-mail, and phone number of three professional references via email to Ms. Megan Brown at email@example.com. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduate and graduate students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.