The head coach for the men’s lacrosse team is a full-time position. The team is part of the Athletics Department and abides by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) and the NCAA Division III rules. The head coach will serve as a role model of the high standards expected of our students. A successful candidate will have experience recruiting students, as well as cultivating friends of the various programs to meet enrollment and fundraising goals. The successful candidate will demonstrate and support a commitment and sensitivity to diversity, gender equity, and equal opportunity. This position reports directly to the Associate Athletics Director, but also has oversight from Director of Athletics.
- Oversee all aspects of the program, including practices, game day, competition, and travel.
- Retain current student athletes and recruit qualified student athletes.
- Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth by the team, college, MIAA, and NCAA with the utmost integrity.
- Ensure an environment that promotes student safety.
- Work with Associate Athletics Director and Center for Student Success to monitor progress and eligibility of all student-athletes.
- Work with Athletics Director and Admissions staff to establish annual recruitment goals.
- Cultivate positive relationships with students and their families.
- Work collaboratively with Student Services and Residence Life staff with respect to student needs and any issues related to student behavior.
- Collaborate with Athletics Director in establishing a fundraising plan for the dance team that meets the department’s annual fundraising goals and aligns with the college’s overall fundraising strategy.
- Prepare and collaborate with the Director of Athletics on the annual budget for the lacrosse program.
- Work cooperatively with personnel in athletic department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represents the college positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the college and the athletic department.
- Dependent on experience, administrative duties may be assigned and compensated.
- Any and all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of two (2) years’ experience coaching lacrosse.
- Ability to perform physical tasks associated with coaching a collegiate level lacrosse team.
- Firm commitment to a student-centered culture and the academic success of students are essential.
- Excellent computer, written and oral communication skills.
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license, related insurance and good driving record.
- Demonstrated success in developing and executing strategic planning.
- Experience in identifying and recruiting student athletes.
- Experienced manager of people and budgets.
- Ability to cultivate alumni and booster participation.
- Proven fund-raising experience to support programs.
Please send a letter of application, resume and contact information for three references to Sarah Dehring, Athletics Director, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s students thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student- faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.