Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Communication and Marketing, the Graphic Designer will serve as the primary designer on campus, with a strong focus on digital and multimedia design. The Graphic Designer will be an integral member of the marketing and communication team, responsible for producing creative multimedia campaigns that support the work of admissions, advancement and athletics, enhancing Alma College’s reputation and advancing the institution’s goals.
The Graphic Designer is the steward of the College’s overall visual identity, ensuring Alma’s brand is represented correctly and consistently across campus. Responsibilities will include producing graphic solutions for web and digital platforms, including web graphics and digital materials for alma.edu, digital marketing campaigns (email, advertising) and Alma College’s social media accounts. In addition, the Graphic Designer will support the production of print
materials and oversee external vendors.
This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Communication and Marketing. The position supervises student staff and provides creative oversight to external design vendors
● Serve as the primary designer on campus for digital and print design collateral.
● Design static, animated and interactive graphic content for digital marketing, the College website and social media.
● Design email marketing campaigns, direct mail pieces, brochures, posters, flyers and advertisements used in recruitment and fundraising campaigns.
● Serve as the primary liaison with print and design vendors, managing contracts and ensuring a smooth process from design to delivery.
● Serve as the primary steward of the College’s brand, maintaining and updating the College’s brand standards regularly, and ensuring that digital and print materials maintain a consistent look and feel that represents Alma College to the highest standard.
● Create standardized templates for frequently used formats (posters, flyers, etc.) for use by employees across the College.
● Manage the licensing process of the College’s logo and graphic identity through the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC).
● Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, advertising or a related field.
● Minimum three years of professional graphic design experience.
● Proficiency in Mac OS, with advanced skills in the Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
● Ability to plan, prioritize and multitask, staying abreast of rapidly changing technology and design trends.
● Ability to manage production cycles for multiple projects and meet tight, competing deadlines.
● Strong attention to detail, with the ability to edit and design with exceptional accuracy and professional quality.
● Familiarity with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and their application when designing for the web.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills.
● Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
● Professional experience in a higher education setting is a plus.
Must be able to perform computer-related work for several hours each day and to communicate effectively in person, electronically and by telephone with students, faculty, administrators and the general public. Sitting, walking, lifting up to 20 pounds.
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College employment application, a letter of interest, a current résumé, and the name, address, e-mail, and phone number of three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. A portfolio showcasing 8-12 creative design projects is also required as part of the application. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment. Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.