Alma College is currently accepting applications for a Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach. This full time position is responsible for assisting the head coach with the intercollegiate men’s basketball program, including but not limited to: coaching, recruiting qualified student athletes, fundraising, camps, developing schedules, budget management, building community support for the program, monitoring academic progress of student athletes, and knowledge of applicable NCAA rules.
Essential Functions - may include, but not limited to the following:
- Coach the men’s basketball team.
- Assist in overseeing all aspects of the program, including practices, competition and scheduling.
- Assist in the recruiting plan of the program, evaluate and recruit qualified student athletes.
- Assist in fundraising activities to enhance program.
- Monitor class schedules, grades and academic progress of program student athletes.
- Model good sportsmanship and enforce sportsmanlike behavior among student athletes.
- Assist administration with alumni relations.
- Commits to and is responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the MIAA, and the NCAA with the utmost integrity.
- Work cooperatively with personnel in athletic department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public.
- Support the philosophy and mission of the College and the athletic department.
- Develop student-athletes to be contributing members to the campus community and the community at large.
- Other duties as assigned by head men’s basketball coach or athletic director.
- Bachelor’s degree required with collegiate level playing and/or coaching experience.
- Candidates must have the ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of NCAA and MIAA conference rules.
- Excellent written and oral skills, knowledge of computer applications, organizational abilities, event planning and camps, fund raising, financial management.
- Recruiting ability and demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse populations.
- Must be willing to actively participate in practices and must be able to work weekends/evenings and travel.
- Knowledge of NCAA Division III and MIAA compliance and conference rules, and an understanding of the NCAA Division III student athlete philosophy
This description indicated the general nature and level of work performed by employee in the above job. It is not intended to be a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Please send a letter of application, resume, Alma College application and contact information for three references to Mike Fitzpatrick, Head Men’s Basketball Coach, at email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student- faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.