Alma College is currently accepting applications for a part-time Academic Secretary for the Music Department.
The academic secretary performs administrative support for the assigned academic departments and exceptional customer service to internal and external constituents. This position has regular interaction with faculty, staff, students, campus community, parents of students, alumni and the general public.
- Perform general office duties to support the faculty and departmental activities, including typing and preparation of correspondence, classroom, presentation, or promotional materials; copying documents; coordinating departmental mailings; completing work orders and purchase orders as needed.
- As receptionist, liaison for the assigned locations, provide professional, friendly, and responsive customer service to all constituents. Duties include answering the phone, providing information for faculty, students, staff and the public; coordinating classroom scheduling with Registrar’s Office; delivering packages for the receiving area to faculty offices; and assuring office equipment is in working order.
- Maintain and protect the confidentiality of office files including accurate records of majors/programs and student activities, pre-professional files and summer research opportunities.
- Maintain accurate records of department budgets; produce financial reports as needed.
- Assist with faculty searches by compiling candidate lists, establishing an on-line search committee site for applicant files, preparing correspondence to applicants as directed by the search committee chair, and maintaining records.
- Facilitate special projects and activities as needed including but not limited to departmental events, honors programs or clubs, and faculty committee assignments and projects.
- Assistant new faculty to obtain supplies and information to acclimate to campus and support tenured faculty while they are on sabbatical leave (mail, phone, local contacts, etc.).
- Collaborate effectively across campus to facilitate the work of the college.
- Other duties appropriate to the role as assigned by the supervisor of the designated department chairs.
- Two years’ experience in a professional office setting
- Proficient in the use of standard office software, specifically word processing and spreadsheets.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to prioritize assignments from multiple sources
- Ability to work cooperatively with all constituent groups
- Work experience in a higher education setting
- College coursework or degree
This is a part time, 10-month position. The hours are flexible. The person in this position will typically come in once per week in the summer to check mail and other odds and ends.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College Application, letter of interest, a current resume and the name, address, email, and phone number of three professional references to Sue Deel, Assistant Provost. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-employmentapplication.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student- faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the
center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.