Alma College is currently seeking a General Tradesmen for its Facilities and Services Management department. The general tradesmen performs skilled work in the operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of carpentry, mechanical, electrical, heating, ventilation and air conditioning and plumbing systems. The general tradesmen also performs routine work using hand and power tools and measuring and testing devices to repair or remodel existing equipment and/or structures according to work orders or verbal instructions.
1. Performs skilled mechanical maintenance work in the operation, maintenance, modification, service and repair of electrical, heating, ventilation and air conditioning, plumbing and control systems.
2. Assures the proper operation of a wide variety of mechanical machines and devices including pumps, motors, fans, compressors, etc. by observing equipment operation and performing preventative maintenance to insure continued proper operation.
3. Performs basic carpentry work by repairing existing door and window hardware, replacement of vinyl floor covering and acoustical ceiling tiles, installation of office, kitchen and bathroom accessories including dispensers, trays, shelves, mirrors, etc.
4. Performs basic plumbing work by repairing existing plumbing, repairing valves, installing plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, toilets, water heaters, and connecting the, to outlet and inlet pipes by fitting with gaskets, couplings, traps, and valves, and soldering connections to seal joints, and opening clogged drains and stopped up toilets.
5. Performs basic electrical work by replacing faulty switches, sockets, plugs, fuses, breakers, insulators and other simple elements of electrical systems and equipment.
6. Performs preventative maintenance tasks on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
7. Contributes to the overall success of the Facilities and Services Management department.
1. High school diploma or the equivalent plus the completion of a maintenance vocational/technician school or a recognized apprenticeship program in general mechanical maintenance is preferred.
2. Minimum of five years of successful experience in each of the building trades.
3. Requires general mechanical ability which include skills in the use of electrical test equipment, hand and power tools, mechanical equipment and materials applicable to the mechanical trades. Ability to interpret wiring diagrams, blueprints, and schematics is required.
4. Must be able to lift and transport materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 80 pounds on an occasional basis; prolonged standing and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching on a daily basis; and working in confined spaces, including climbing stairs in all college buildings; and to work at heights. Work is performed indoors and outdoors, in all seasons and weather conditions.
5. Must have a valid Michigan motor vehicle operator’s license and an approved driving record.
6. This position requires exposure to and use of chemicals, solvents, cleaners, and lubricants common to mechanical work that may be hazardous and/or cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, use and disposal/storage are not properly followed.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references, to Ryan Stoudt, Director, Facilities Services Management via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.