Alma College invites applications for the position of Campus Chaplain
The Campus Chaplain will nurture and support the spiritual growth of students, staff and faculty to encourage a dynamic interfaith environment on campus that includes worship, study, service, and other activities that honor the rich diversity of faith perspectives within the College community. This individual will report to the Senior Chaplain and will work collaboratively with the Associate Catholic Chaplain and Associate Protestant Chaplain, as well as the Center for Campus and Community Engagement.
- Facilitate and support regular multi-denominational Christian worship services in cooperation with other chaplains and student ministry coordinators
- Serve as pastor to students, faculty, and staff.
- Facilitate regular, creative worship opportunities that speak to the spiritual needs of campus.
- Develop and create programming that inspires spiritual growth and opportunity for students, staff and faculty.
- Promote a vibrant religious life environment on campus through a variety of programmatic opportunities where students and others explore and develop their own faith and vocation and increase understanding of diverse faith perspectives and expressions.
- Support recruitment efforts with the Admissions Office
- Award annual Religious Leadership and Interfaith Leadership scholarships and manage cohorts of current student recipients of these awards
- Work closely with the Center for Campus and Community Engagement to encourage experiential learning, vocational exploration and community based service and events.
- Hire, supervise and a develop student ministry coordinators and interfaith fellows.
- Direct the Interfaith Connections events on campus in partnership with the Alma College Interfaith Chapel House and the Student Interfaith Fellows
- The position reports to the Senior Chaplain
- This is a full-time 12 month position starting immediately
- Master of Divinity degree or equivalent required
- Conversant with and supportive of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Supportive and appreciative of a variety of expressions of Christian faith and of the world’s major religious traditions
- Experience leading a variety of Christian worship styles
- Ordination within a mainline Protestant denomination and a member in good standing
- Advanced degree such as D.Min or Ph.D
- Experience in higher education settings
Please send a letter of application, resume, Alma College Application and complete contact information for three references to Dr. Rev. Andrew Pomerville, Director for the Center for College and Community Engagement and Senior Chaplain, at email@example.com. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student- faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.