Alma College is currently accepting applications for the Financial Aid counselor position.
Assist students, parents, and faculty/staff via the phone, e-mail, and in person with inquiries. Counsel families and students regarding their financial aid options. Assist with electronic filing, office mailings, processing forms, awarding grants and scholarships, general correspondence and other tasks as needed.
Essential functions of the job:
- Front line person, greet visitors and students and receive phone calls. Provide assistance by answering questions and advising on procedures and/or refer to the proper person when appropriate. Make appointments for staff as necessary. Open correspondence, post letters, scan verification documents and outside scholarship information
- Monitors and responds to requests sent into the financial aid
- Assist students and families with completing the FAFSA, entrance counseling, student loan acknowledgement and Master Promissory
- Pulls down and processes forms submitted to our document upload
- Counsels students and parents on loan options, payment plans, and their award
- Runs morning process to pull in FAFSA/loan data from COD into the Datatel
- Manage and maintain all forms. Be sure enough forms are in stock. Prepare form orders as necessary.
- Preparation of materials and other items needed for orientation days and our annual
- Upon receiving official community service work study request forms, process and print contracts, time sheets and job descriptions. Maintain a database of job descriptions. Also is point of contact for outside community service
- Scans and reviews all verification documents received. Determines if they are complete or missing items. Contacts student and/or parent regarding what was
- Compile and mail or e-mail exit counseling packets for seniors and non-returning
- Awarding of endowed scholarships through in house database. Also responsible for annual system setup and communication with
- Completes most office mailings including but not limited to award letters, MIL letters, disbursement notices, SAP letters, withdraw information, and missing FAFSA
- Maintain the of FA website and communicating through the FA Twitter account. This would include keeping content current and making any adjustments
Required Job Qualifications:
Excellent communication and people skills, ability to work independently and multi-task. Must have the ability to understand /learn a variety of software. Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel. Good math skills.
Desirable Job Qualifications:
- Knowledge of Financial Aid guidelines
- Knowledge of Datatel software, Department of Education Software and Microsoft Office
- Quick learner and willing to make changes
Please send a letter of application, resume and contact information for three references to Michelle McNier, Director of Student Financial Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student- faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s lower peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally. For more information about the College, visit www.alma.edu.