Annual Giving is the foundation of philanthropic support for Alma. It is the primary way in which alumni, parents, and friends demonstrate a shared commitment to the college. As it seeks annual, unrestricted support it develops sustainable philanthropic traditions that have a direct impact on the quality of experience that students receive. The consistent habits it establishes are important for preparing donors for comprehensive campaigns, capital priorities including the endowment, and estate gift considerations.
Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement, the Director of Annual Giving manages the development, implementation, and evaluation of the college’s annual giving strategies in pursuit of ambitious goals for funds and participation. The Director supervises an assistant and directs the activities of a volunteer corps led by a steering committee. The Director collaborates with the Advancement team and campus colleagues to ensure coordination in the implementation of the Annual Giving plan with Advancement and campus priorities.
While some donors may want to direct their support for specific priorities, the case for Annual Giving should focus on a shared commitment to the overall financial strength of the college and of the collective impact donors can have on its quality and reputation. Each generation of students has benefited from this tradition of philanthropy. Alumni are the primary audience, so the alumni participation rate is an important indicator of their engagement. The components of the Annual Giving plan should include:
- a consistent, compelling case for support
- strategies and goals for donor acquisition, donor retention, and donor upgrades to leadership levels (of $2,500 or more)
- strategies for an effective volunteer organization
- plans for the engagement of key partners e.g., Board of Trustees, Alumni and Parent Board, Ambassadors, Advancement team, athletics, etc.
- Develop and achieve ambitious and sustainable annual goals in consultation with the Advancement team and college cabinet officers.
- Develop benchmarks and management tools that can provide daily, weekly, and monthly tracking of progress on goals and subgoals.
- Develop and implement effective tactics and initiatives.
- Develop and coordinate an annual calendar that includes a broad range of activities including social media, phoning, texting, direct mail, and giving days. Track and evaluate results.
- Develop an alumni annual giving volunteer organization that shares ownership in the success of the fund and is a key component of the Ambassadors program. Identify, recruit, engage, train, and celebrate volunteers and volunteer leadership
- Direct available student staff in support of annual giving initiatives.
- Coordinate Annual Fund promotion via social media, working closely with the Advancement team and the Communication and Marketing Department to integrate fundraising messaging into social media content calendars
- Direct fundraising efforts for the Scot Loyalty Fund. Liaise with athletic director and coaching staff to set engagement and fundraising responsibilities, expectations and best practices
- Coordinate with Communication and Marketing department to ensure appropriate Annual Fund coverage in all print and social media materials
- Visit with annual donors and annual donor prospects to ensure continuity and service
- Identify potential major donors with appropriate advancement personnel
- Ability to travel extensively
- Ability to work weekends and evenings
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Experience with technology
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years or more experience in higher education marketing, enrollment, and / or constituent engagement or similar experience in other career settings
- Graduate of Alma College
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to email@example.com. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.