Alma College is currently accepting application materials for the position of Assistant Director of Residence Life for Second Year Experience.
The Assistant Director of Residence Life for Second Year Experience is a full-time professional staff member primarily responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating a second year residential experience that supports student retention, success, and development. The assistant director will play an active role in developing Residence Life programs and a new residential curriculum for Alma College. The assistant director also is responsible for residential area management and all associated administrative responsibilities.
This position is provided with a furnished, on-campus apartment, but may choose to live off campus within a 15-mile radius. The position also includes a partial meal plan.
Supervision Received/Supervision Exercised
The assistant director reports directly to the director of residence life and indirectly to the vice president for student affairs. The assistant directors’ supervisory expectations vary by residential experience and may include supervision of undergraduate and graduate student staff.
- Develop and promote programming that supports second-year student success, retention, persistence, and development.
- Participate in residential curriculum development and implementation in partnership with Residence Life and Student Affairs.
- Coordinate annual student leadership training for resident assistants.
- Manage fiscal resources for programming and development in their residential area.
- Provide personal, social, academic, and occupational support that enhances student retention and persistence.
- Provide developmentally appropriate supervision for undergraduate and graduate student staff.
- Oversee administrative and building management responsibilities for second-year residence halls.
- Participate in the professional staff duty rotation.
- Participate as a member of sector and/or campus teams or committees as requested or as mutually agreeable.
- Communicate and collaborate frequently with Alma College faculty, staff, and students to help better meet the needs of students.
- Master’s degree in a related field
- Two or more years of residence life or related experience
- Knowledge of student development, learning principles, and retention strategies
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Available to work weekends and evenings
- Experience working with second-year students.
- Experience with curriculum development, particularly in a residential setting.
- Supervisory and related training experience
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of application that addresses the skills required for the position, a resume, the names and contact information for three professional references, and an Alma College application to: Alice Kramer, Director of Residence Life, Alma College, firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.
Please note that incomplete applications that are received will not be considered.