Alma College is currently accepting applications for an academic secretary for our Music department. This is a part-time, 10-month position. The academic secretary performs administrative support for the Music department and exceptional customer service to internal and external constituents. This position has regular interaction with faculty, students, campus community, parents of students, alumni and the general public.
This position reports to the assistant provost, although day-to-day instruction is received from the faculty. This position will also oversee student assistants.
- Perform general office duties to support the faculty and departmental activities, including typing and preparation of correspondence, classroom, presentation, or promotional materials; copying documents; coordinating departmental mailings; completing work orders and purchase orders as needed.
- As receptionist/liaison for the assigned locations, provide professional, friendly and responsive customer service to all constituents. Duties include answering the phone, providing information for faculty, students, staff and the public; coordinating classroom scheduling with Registrar’s Office; delivering packages from the receiving area to faculty offices; and assuring office equipment is in working order.
- Maintain and protect the confidentiality of office files including accurate records of majors/programs and student activities, pre-professional files and summer research opportunities.
- Maintain accurate records of department budgets; produce financial reports as needed.
- Assist with faculty searches by compiling candidate lists, establishing an on-line search committee site for applicant files, preparing correspondence to applicants as directed by the search committee chair, and maintaining records.
- Facilitate special projects and activities as needed including but not limited to departmental events, honors programs or clubs, and faculty committee assignments and projects.
- Assist new faculty to obtain supplies and information to acclimate to campus and support tenured faculty while they are on sabbatical leave (mail, phone, local contacts, etc.).
- Collaborate effectively across campus to facilitate the work of the college.
- Other duties appropriate to the role as assigned by the supervisor or the designated department chairs.
Required Qualifications – Two years’ experience in a professional office setting; proficient in use of standard office software, specifically word processing and spreadsheets; able to work independently with minimal supervision and to prioritize assignments from multiple sources; able to work cooperatively with all constituent groups.
Preferred Qualifications - Work experience in a higher education setting; college coursework or degree.
Physical Requirements - Must be able to perform computer-related work for several hours each day and to communicate effectively in person, by e-mail, and by telephone with students, faculty, administrators, and the general public.
Qualified candidates should submit a letter of application that addresses the skills required for the position, a résumé, an Alma College Employment Application and the names, addresses, phone numbers, and nature of relationship of three professional references via email to: Amanda Duval, Director of Human Resources, Alma College, firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897- employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.
Please note that incomplete applications that are received will not be considered.