Alma College, a private liberal arts college with approximately 1,450 students located in Mid-Michigan, is seeking an innovative, goal oriented, highly motivated, experienced leader for the position of Assistant Vice President or Senior Director of Admissions. Salary and title are dependent upon experience and qualifications.
Assistant Vice President or Senior Director of Admissions is responsible for all aspects of traditional first year student recruitment, including the development and implementation of strategies to accomplish the college’s strategic goals. Additionally, the Assistant Vice President or Senior Director of Admissions will collaborate with faculty, financial aid, student affairs, marketing and athletics staff, and other departments across the campus in support of student recruitment. Therefore, the successful candidate must possess strong organizational, written and oral communication skills, and a capacity to collaborate and build relationships with students, staff and faculty.
This position reports to the Vice President of Admissions and Special Assistant to the President and supervises a team of admissions representatives.
Essential functions include:
- Development and assessment of annual recruitment plans designed to meet and exceed enrollment goals;
- In partnership with the Vice President and the admissions team, the individual in this role will assist in the development, execution and assessment of enrollment and financial aid strategies and tactics leading to the continued development of a state -of–the art enrollment approach that addresses objectives, resources and opportunities of the current market environment;
- Lead metrics-driven efforts to drive key decisions related to the development and execution of admission plans and programs. They will organize, track, report and assess enrollment data to inform and shape departmental efforts in achieving enrollment and revenue goals;
- Monitor trends and best practices, and introduce relevant opportunities to Alma College to bring new ideas and innovations to campus.
- Utilize data analytics and best practices to facilitate the decision making process;
- Develop new and expanding markets.
- Serving as an industry expert and passionate representative of the college;
- Represent the college at a wide variety of community and professional events, both internal and external;
- Engage in speaking opportunities at school programs, conferences and other key events. They will cultivate and maintain relationships with key constituents, high schools, community based organizations and foundations and others in advancing the goals and objectives of college enrollment;
- Lead the development of communication and marketing plans, including engagement in the creation and implementation of print, electronic and other related marketing materials.
- Facilitating a culture of continuous growth and improvement among the admissions staff;
- Support the recruitment, hiring, and development of admissions counselors and enrollment services professionals;
- Enhance staff development and collaboration in cultivating a team culture that aligns with, reflects and supports the admission team’s values and aspirations and will have oversight of staff meetings and staff retreats;
- Identify, evaluate and prioritize staffing needs and models with clear and measurable objectives. They will have direct responsibility for assessing and managing staff in the file reading processes to ensure consistent, accurate, and equitable practices;
- Manage the staff responsible for departmental programming including, but not limited to: file reading and evaluation, recruitment travel, and ensuring all are working toward achieving the larger enrollment management objectives.
- Partnering with constituents across campus and beyond to foster opportunities for enrollment growth;
- Ensure appropriate departments are informed of changes and updates;
- The individual in this position will work to expand summer programming opportunities.
The successful candidate must be a skilled manager and motivator of staff, excellent at managing relationships with on- and off- campus partners, understand and be capable of utilizing technology in enrollment services, possess an ability to exceed the expectations of prospective students and their families, excellent data analysis skills, and a strong work ethic. Also necessary is the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, some holidays and some travel.
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree; five years of progressively responsible experience in admissions, enrollment services or other related higher education work, including management and supervisory roles. Other requirements include:
- A track record of meeting or exceeding institutional goals
- Successful experience recruiting, training, mentoring, and leading an admissions staff
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and assess results of department initiatives
- Demonstrated skills in budget management
- A proven ability to make independent professional judgments with integrity
- A track record of effectively partnering with faculty, staff, students, alumni and trustees
- Awareness of national and regional trends in the enrollment profession
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree in a related field. Experience with international and transfer admissions processes and a deep understanding and appreciation of the value of a private, liberal arts education
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references to Olivia Gibson, Administrative Assistant, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Alma College recognizes that we are all transformed when we celebrate and value the varied identities backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives in our campus community. We are committed to recognizing and removing barriers to success and providing equitable access to opportunities through education and advocacy. In our increasingly diverse campus and world, we pledge to create a climate where everyone is safe and free to grow intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.