This position will connect students with jobs, internships and study abroad opportunities that support their vocational exploration and career and academic development, with a particular focus on their junior and senior years and transition to professional life. This position is charged with liaising with employers, alumni, and off-campus study affiliates to identify and develop appropriate opportunities and communicating these opportunities to students through campus events, on-line platforms, and one-on-one advising. This position is to facilitate direct relationships that would drive student internships, employment and cooperative partnerships to help student thrive after graduation. It is parts of Alma College vision that includes a commitment that every student will have a powerful college experience that enables them to develop the skills to be responsible citizens during and after their years at Alma.
- Act as initial point of contact for inquiries from alumni and employers about jobs, internships, and events – coordinate with employers wishing to recruit or interview on campus
- Travel to meet employers and develop a pipeline for job and internship opportunities
- Vet internship and job postings. Support employers and alumni in the identification and implementation of best practices for internship programs as outlined by the National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Meet with students for career development support, including advising on career and major pathways, resume and cover letter development, personal statements, networking, and job/internship search strategies
- Collaborate with Assistant Directors for Career and Personal Development to host Alumni Speed Interviews, Career Expo, and other events that bring external constituents to campus
- Collaborate with faculty in developing and integrating into the curriculum experiential learning opportunities for Business and Pre-law students; career coach for Business and Pre-law students
- Represent Alma College as a member of the Job Pursuit consortium
- Oversee the administration of Handshake, the college’s job and internship search platform
- Oversee the administration of the first-destination survey of Alma College graduates
- Serve as an Academic Advisor for walk-in students
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Good organizational and analytical skills
- Experience in a higher education setting or working with college students
- Experience working in collaboration with faculty
- Experience in career development, alumni relations, human resources, or a related field
- Masters’ degree
Supervision Received/ Supervision Exercised:
- Position reports to the Director of Career and Personal Development
- Supervises student assistants
- Must be able to work at a computer for several hours at a time
- Some overnight travel
Interested candidates should submit an Alma College Application, letter of interest, a current resume and the name, address, email, and phone number of three professional references to Karl Rishe, Vice President for Student Affairs at email@example.com.
Application deadline is 12/20/2019.
For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.