The Associate Director of Prospect Research and Management (Associate Director) partners with advancement staff to establish coordinated, strategic relationships between Alma College and its constituents. The Associate Director identifies, qualifies, and helps to assign promising Alma College prospects (potential donors) to regional advancement officers and other relationship managers. The Associate Director also researches and manages prospect data and collaborates with the advancement team to provide a framework for strategic, actionable engagement and fundraising plans. He / She provides focus to portfolio and pipeline activity, helping to track and measure performance, encouraging collaboration and ownership, and promoting accountability. Through predictive modeling and wealth screening, he / she creates and analyzes targeted prospect lists to support strategic activities and plans. The Associate Director also supports portfolio reviews and performance analyses, as well as guides moves management meetings.
- Locate and synthesize material from multiple sources to create comprehensive prospect / donor profiles for the vice president for advancement, the president, and volunteers.
- Prepare prospect research profiles for events and various prospect visits for the team
- Ensure accurate and timely constituent record updates to reflect most recent engagements, interactions and noteworthy personal and professional developments.
- Interpret, analyze, and summarize complex biographical, business, and financial data.
- Assist in maintaining accurate records in the prospect management system and in managing department database and constituent records.
- Oversee the student worker program, including student worker assignments and weekly schedules.
- Manage, support, and encourage fundraising and advisory board volunteers as needed.
- Guide and support moves management meetings with advancement teammates and college leaders.
- Develop, distribute, and maintain a prospect management manual for the department.
- Compile and disseminate weekly constituent contact reports and timely individual constituent updates.
- Assist in preparing of a full range of documents and reports for internal and external use.
- Manage online and paper alumni notes submissions and updates regarding deceased constituents.
- Support planning and implementation processes for such events as the Donor Scholar Lunch, St. Andrews Dinner, Golden Thistle Society gatherings, Giving Circles, and other targeted events.
- Organize and maintain department files (including confidential files); periodically updating and reviewing reference materials and manuals.
- Communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Meet internal and external deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Apply understanding of the strategic goals, organization practices, and critical policies and regulations that impact the college
Supervisor: Associate / Assistant Vice President for Development
Supervisees: Student workers (oversees student worker program) and volunteers
- Demonstrate a well-developed sense of curiosity, ingenuity, perseverance and good judgment
- Experience in database management
- Experience with Microsoft Excel & Word
- Ability to work with a high level of independence, maintain confidentiality, and prioritize assignments.
- Excellent verbal / written communication skills
- Strong research background and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Ability to perform data analysis, querying and reporting
- Ability to think critically, strategically, and creatively
- Excellent organizational skills
- Bachelor’s degree
- Five years or more experience in prospect research in higher education
- Experience with constituent management software
- Previous development experience and/or a background in a non-profit or educational institution
- Experience with information resources and publications
- Sitting at a desk for up to 8 hours
- Lifting up to 20 pounds
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College Application, letter of interest, a current resume and the name, address, email, and phone number of three professional references to Dan McKean, Associate Vice President for Development at email@example.com.
Position is open until filled.
For an Alma College application please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-employment-application.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.
*Incomplete applications will not be considered.