The Benefits Specialist is a member of a responsive, customer-service driven, employee-focused Human Resources team with primary responsibility for meeting the needs of our customers by processing the enrollment, monitoring, record-keeping and communications associated with all employee benefits plans.
This position reports to the Director of Human Resources
- Enrolls, monitors and terminates employee benefits on an on-going basis, comparing eligibility definitions to letters of appointment, anniversary dates, etc. to ensure timely and accurate enrollment and termination of enrollment.
- Coordinates the enrollment of benefits for new employees and termination of benefits for departing employees
- Meets with employees to explain benefit plan features, assists with them with enrollment, and answers questions from employees, retirees and beneficiaries
- Meets with candidates for open positions to review benefits
- Serves as the day-to day contact for agents, insurance carriers and third party administrators
- Coordinates all aspects of open enrollment – announcements, education and mandated materials, group and individual information meetings.
- Collects and processes administrative time off reports; processes monthly and annual accruals for sick and vacation time.
- Enters all benefits in applicable files or systems
- Prepares census, account distribution and billing/payment information for benefits plans
- Performs monthly audits to benefits plans to ensure accuracy of enrollments
- Completes required paperwork for disability or life insurance claims
- Reviews and tracks employee tuition benefit and graduate tuition benefit receipts, grades, credits and prepares reimbursement documents for approval and payment
- Reviews and processes moving expense reimbursement
- Assists with the maintenance of the HR website
- Performs other job related assignments as assigned
- Proficient in the use of standard office software, specifically Microsoft Office
- Ability to communicate complex employee benefits issues
- Good Customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and confidentially
- Ability to make decisions within specific parameters
- Bachelor’s degree with two (2) years of related office experience
- General knowledge of employee and benefits laws
- Experience working in a college or university benefits role
- Completion of professional development programs
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to Amanda Duval, Director of Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Benefits Specialist as the subject line of your email.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Deadline for applications is July 26, 2019.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.