The Athletics Director (AD) is responsible for the overall development and administration of the Alma College intercollegiate athletics program. Responsibilities include selection and supervision of coaches and administrative staff, coordination of effective recruitment and retention initiatives for student-athletes, responsible management of departmental finances and facilities, building positive relationships with internal and external constituencies, and compliance with all relevant rules and regulations. The AD is responsible for integrating the Alma College mission, vision and values into the philosophy and practice of the athletics program. The successful candidate must demonstrate the values of honesty and integrity and be a strong advocate for diversity and inclusion, supporting a welcoming environment for students, staff and the broader community. This is a full-time salaried exempt position with evening and weekend commitments.
Supervision Received/Given: Reports to the President, with frequent collaboration with members of the President’s Cabinet. Direct reports include the head coaches, associate athletics director, sports information director, head athletic Trainer and office associate.
Athletics Department Mission Statement: The Alma College Athletics Department will advance the mission of the college by providing athletic experiences that lead student-athletes to graduate as informed and responsible citizens of the world. We provide an equitable, diverse, competitive intercollegiate athletic program that complements academic achievement by enabling students to understand the principles of fairness, responsibility and leadership. In our pursuit of competitive excellence, we will demonstrate sportsmanship, unity, passion and determination.
- Provide leadership in the development and administration of an athletics department that supports a culture of collaboration, accountability, and recognition of achievement.
- Recruit and supervise a professional athletics staff that embodies the mission, vision and values of Alma College. Maintain high standards for all staff.
- Establish long-range goals for the department that are in harmony with the college’s strategic plan, annual goals and approved initiatives.
- Responsibly manage departmental finances, establishing budget priorities, overseeing approved capital improvements, maintaining equipment, and holding staff accountable for the budget accounts within their control.
- Oversee athletics facilities, sport information initiatives and the scheduling of events to support the athletics program and to engage the campus and the local community in the life of the college.
- Professionally represent Alma College to internal and external constituents to strengthen relationships and enhance the athletics department reputation.
- Assure compliance with all NCAA and MIAA rules and standards, as well as relevant federal, state and local laws.
- Lead the coaching staff to build programs that strengthen the college’s position within the MIAA.
- Collaborate with the Advancement Office in building alumni relationships and supporting fundraising efforts.
- Participate in college committees, official college functions and other duties appropriate to the role of the senior athletics officer.
Recruitment and Retention Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the Vice President for Admissions to develop strategies and goals to recruit prospective student-athletes who have the potential to succeed in their academic programs as well as in their sports.
- Assure that each head coach has an annual recruitment and retention plan; hold staff accountable for the approved goals and for improving graduation rates for student-athletes.
- Collaborate with Student Affairs in the development of a robust recreation and intramural program for all students.
- Lead the athletics staff to collaborate across all departments on campus to promote holistic development of student-athletes.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Five years of professional athletics administration experience, including at least two years in a leadership role
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the technical and leadership aspects of sports management of a multi-sport intercollegiate athletic program
- Knowledge of NCAA regulations and Title IX requirements
- Able to interact and communicate effectively in a clear, concise and compassionate manner with a wide range of constituents
- Able to maintain strict confidentiality of student, employee, alumni and college matters
- Able to gather and analyze information to prepare concise, coherent written reports
- Experience in public speaking to diverse audiences
- Strong prioritization, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to understand, implement and create policy
- Master’s degree
- Experience as a head coach
- Knowledge of MIAA regulations
- Experience in fund raising
Able to participate actively in meetings and events in various locations.
For full consideration, send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to
Ann Hall, Chair
Athletics Director Search Committee
External applicants should also complete an Alma College application.
Alma College will begin reviewing applications August 15, 2019 and continue until a suitable candidate is found. The college reserves the right to close the application process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
About Alma College:
Alma College is a private, independent four-year liberal arts and sciences college located in the city of Alma in the geographic center of Michigan. The mission of Alma College is to prepare graduates who will think critically, serve generously, lead purposefully and live responsibly as stewards of the world they bequeath to others. A Phi Beta Kappa institution, the college enrolls approximately 1400 undergraduate students from 30 states and eight foreign countries.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.