Responsible for the entire intercollegiate golf programs, including but not limited to: coaching, recruiting qualified student athletes, fund raising, camps, developing schedules, budget management, building community support for the program, monitoring academic progress of student athletes, and knowledge of applicable NCAA rules. This position is a part-time 12-month appointment.
Reports to: Director of Athletics
Supervises: Assistant Coaches, student assistants, student workers
Essential Functions – may include, but not limited to the following:
- Coaching the men’s golf team and the women’s golf team
- Evaluate and recruit qualified student-athletes. Develop a recruiting plan and actively recruit student-athletes
- Manage all aspects of the golf teams, including practicing, competing, and scheduling.
- Direct and supervise assistant golf coaches
- Scout opponents
- Monitor class schedules, grades and student-athlete academic progress.
- Responsible for golf student-athlete retention
- Develop and delegate specific job tasks to assistants
- Model good sportsmanship and enforce sportsmanlike behavior among players at all times
- Communicate personal and program expectations to team and individual players
- Cooperate with maintenance staff, transportation staff, and other who are involved in supporting the athletic program
- Assist administration with alumni relations
- Commit to and responsible for adhering to all rules and regulations set forth for the team, the College, the MIAA, and the NCAA with the utmost integrity
- Work cooperatively with personnel in athletic department, attend department meetings and activities, and always represents the College positively when interacting with the community, alumni, high school and club coaches, media and general public
- Support the philosophy and mission of the College and the athletic department
- Develop fundraisers to improve the golf program
- Develop student-athletes to be contributing members to the campus community and the community at large
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum 4 years coaching experience at the collegiate level or demonstrated successful head coaching experience on the high school level as well as the educational background and expertise to teach college level courses
- Knowledge of NCAA and MIAA conference rules
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of computer applications, organizational abilities, event planning and camps, fund raising, financial management and recruiting ability and demonstrated commitment or experience working with diverse populations
- Must be willing to actively participate in practices
- Ability to work weekends/evenings and travel
- A valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Ability to fulfill essential functions of the position
- Master’s degree
- Previous experience at NCAA Division III collegiate institution
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to Steven Rackley, Director of Athletics at email@example.com.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/3085-application-for-employment.
Application deadline is open until filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.