Alma College seeks a Director of Library Services to provide vision and leadership for user-centered library services that serve the scholarly needs of the campus and support the mission of the college. The Director of Library Services reports to the Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and will lead a team of three full-time librarians. This is a full-time administrative position.
Key priorities of the position:
- In collaboration with the Provost, establish the strategic direction for the Alma College Library to address the college’s learning, teaching, research and information literacy needs.
- Lead, mentor and encourage the library faculty and staff; foster a culture of user centered service and collaboration with campus partners in education and research activities. Provide an environment that encourages staff in continual improvement, learning, and development of new skills to serve the college’s educational mission.
- Develop and monitor the library’s budget to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds so as to maintain a collection that supports the curriculum, provides the technology required to facilitate access to information resources and maximizes operational efficiency.
- Lead development and implementation of appropriate assessment measures for library services and instruction.
- Actively engage with the library and information services profession to identify trends, emerging technologies and opportunities that will impact information literacy services in higher education.
- Support a welcoming, inclusive environment for all faculty, staff and students; demonstrate the values of honesty, respect and integrity in interactions with others.
- As building manager for the Alma College Library, assure that the facility meets students’ differing academic needs, including spaces for quiet reflection and discovery as well as active collaboration.
- Participate in future plans to expand the library into a Learning Commons that will serve as the hub of campus activity, stand as a symbol of academic excellence and reflect our commitment to the growth and development of each individual student.
- Serve as the library’s primary champion with internal and external constituencies.
Minimum requirements include:
- Master of Library Science or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Ten years of experience as a librarian, including at least three years of academic library management.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain productive and collaborative relationships with campus partners and to foster this ability in others.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of current information literacy trends, integrated library systems and intellectual property as it pertains to higher education.
- Commitment to the liberal arts with an understanding of the role of library services in the teaching and learning environment.
- Evidence of continued scholarship and/or professional accomplishment in the library profession.
- Experience in managing projects and planning for expansion of library facilities.
- Leadership and active participation in local, regional and national library organizations.
- Second advanced degree.
For full consideration, submissions should include:
- Letter of interest that responds to the leadership opportunities outlined above
- Names, email addresses and phone numbers of four professional references.
- External applicants should also complete an Alma College application.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application.
Please submit application materials in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
About Alma College:
Alma College is a private, independent, four-year liberal arts and Sciences College located in the city of Alma in the geographic center of Michigan. The mission of Alma College is to prepare graduates who will think critically, serve generously, lead purposefully and live responsibly as stewards of the world they bequeath to others. A Phi Beta Kappa institution, the college enrolls approximately 1400 undergraduate students from 30 states and eight foreign countries.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.