The Alma College Jazz Ensemble performs an eclectic mix of big band jazz charts in its annual fall concert. The performance, titled “Unforgettable,” begins at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 20 in the Remick Heritage Center, Presbyterian Hall.
Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for seniors 62 and up, and free for Alma College staff, students and youth 18 and under. Seating is reserved. Call (989) 463-7304 for ticket information.
The program includes “Well, Git It” by Sy Oliver, “Go Daddy O” by Scotty Morris and “That’s a Plenty” by Lew Pollack. “Everything” by Michael Buble and “Unforgettable” by Nat “King” Cole also will be performed. Vocalist Sam Lindeman will sing the latter of these.
Additional musical selections include “Rock this Town” by Brian Setzer, “Wave” by Juan Carlos Jobim, “Perpetual Commotion” by Less Hooper and “La Fiesta” by Chick Corea.
“I selected music based on what I saw as the strengths of the ensemble,” says director Jeff Ayres. “We are featuring quite a few senior members as soloists. Brandon Bruce’s performance of ‘Wave’ on bass trombone should be an especially pleasant surprise for the audience.”
The ensemble is one trombonist and one guitarist short of having a big band made up entirely of Alma College students. Local Alma College graduate Christian Gilbert plays with the band to help fill the void.
Student members include:
- William Brown, Spring Lake first-year student
- Brandon Bruce, Kewadin senior
- Lawrence Edwards, Warren first-year student
- Benjamin Elliot, Mount Pleasant senior
- Eric Ferrara, Livonia senior
- Sarah Garrod, Haslett junior
- Elijah George, Marysville junior
- Jacob Holt, Howell junior
- Emily Kayden, Midland sophomore
- Luke Jones, Alto first-year student
- Samuel Lindeman, Cedar Springs junior
- Samuel Markus, Jenison first-year student
- Natasha Netzley, Breckenridge sophomore
- Marisa Ramano, Macomb senior
- Jacob Reagan, Lowell sophomore
- Luke Reed, Benzonia junior
- Aubrey Root, Midland sophomore
- Chloe Sheler, Breckenridge sophomore
- Joshua Stepke, Traverse City junior
- David Viguilla, Roscommon junior
- Lillian Windsor, St. Louis first-year student