The Coordinator of Recreation I assists the Director with the day-to-day operation of the Alan J. Stone Recreation Center (SRC) and oversees the Intramural Sports program. The Coordinator will also assist with summer camps and the Highland Festival housing. The main working hours for this position will be evenings and weekends. This position is part time, not benefits eligible.
Reports to: Director of Campus Recreation and Conferences
- Student Assistants at SRC
- Student Intramural Workers
- Climbing Wall Workers
General Work Hours:
- Monday through Thursday, 5:00 pm to 10 pm
- Work hours may vary according to programming and other needs of the facility.
- The Coordinator will be assigned to work some holidays but will receive compensatory time off as per College policy.
Areas of Responsibility:
Facility supervision, staffing, membership operations support and the Intramural Sports program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the daily operations of the Recreation Center office including cash handling, reconciling monies, generating reports, maintaining membership databases, creating ID cards, responding to customer feedback and overall operation of the front counter along with submission of work orders and recommended equipment purchases.
- Assists in the hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating of all student employees.
- Manages the Intramural Sports program including marketing and promotion, planning and supervising events, hiring officials and scorekeepers, recordkeeping, bracket design and evaluation.
- Assists with campus-wide special events
- Supervises climbing wall activities including maintenance, training, and scheduling.
- Assists with planning of the summer camp program.
- Assists with the planning and coordination of the Highland Festival including rental of rooms in residence halls by outside individuals and groups.
- Manages social media accounts and the website for both intramurals and the Stone Recreation Center.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to set up and tear down equipment for sports events
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
Educational and Experiential Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience working in a recreation or fitness center.
- Demonstrates and understanding of safety and liability
- Excellent written and oral communication and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with a range of guests. (e.g., students, faculty, staff, community members, campers, etc.)
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines.
Educational and Experiential Preferences:
- Preferred experience supervising and organizing intramural programs
- Preferred knowledge of major sports’ rules (basketball, volleyball, soccer)
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references with e-mail addresses and telephone numbers to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application
Position opened until filled.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.