As a member of the Advancement Office leadership team, the Assistant / Associate Vice President (AVP) for Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and executing the college’s major gifts program and is the primary tactical, administrative, and management officer for the Vice President. This position serves as the team leader and supervisor for professional staff members dedicated to major and annual gift fundraising and the tactical manager of campaign operations. This individual will manage a portfolio of prospects and provide gift officers with the support and tools they require to succeed. The AVP will be competent as a chief advancement officer and will prepare and support the staff in gift development.
Help lead the planning and tactics for campaign-based fundraising, including the recruitment, engagement, training, and development of staff and volunteer leaders.
Hire, train, inspire, and evaluate professional and support staff in consultation with the Vice President for Advancement.
Direct the daily operations of the institution’s current comprehensive campaign, including the recruitment and training of volunteers.
Create and execute short- and long-term fundraising plans for major gift prospects in consultation with staff and volunteers.
Partner with the Vice President for Advancement to set activity and solicitation goals and evaluate prospect development initiatives. Collaborate with leadership team members on office-wide projects.
Track staff and volunteer progress and determine appropriate metrics for evaluation.
Provide leadership in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors, including individuals, foundations, and corporations.
Develop and manage a portfolio of 75 to 100 major gift prospects. Portfolio management requires frequent regional and national travel.
Represent the college at public functions and events, including social and professional gatherings.
Maintain familiarity with salient issues relating to higher education, fundraising, and financial planning, demonstrating a desire to stay abreast of new trends and ideas.
Help provide proper stewardship of the budget for the Office of Advancement.
Contribute to the overall success of the Advancement Office by working on special projects and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President for Advancement.
Supervisor Vice President for Advancement
- Senior Director of Regional Advancement (has two direct reports)
- Director of Annual Giving
- Assistant Director of Prospect Research and Management
- Assistant Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations (forthcoming)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience leading a significant philanthropic fundraising campaign
- At least five to seven years of face-to-face philanthropic fundraising experience
- Track record of success in identifying, cultivating, requesting, and closing major gifts
- Understanding of relational fundraising and ability to convincingly articulate needs and goals
- Ability to self start and to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong work ethic, personal integrity, strategic thinking, and supervisory capabilities
- Extraordinary ability to organize, prioritize, and multitask
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and persuasion skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Special events experience
- Ability to follow through and meet deadlines and budgets
- Experience with technology, including social media
- Ability to travel extensively and work weekends and evenings
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission, vision, and goals of Alma College
- Master’s degree
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) credential
- Eight to ten years of philanthropic fundraising experience
- Travel independently in and out of state via car, airplane, or train
- Sitting at a desk for up to 8 hours
- Lifting up to 20 pounds
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to Matt vandenBerg, Vice President for Advancement and External Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application
Review of applications will begin immediately.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.