Alma College seeks a Director of Information Technology Services (ITS) to lead a staff of 13 employees in an environment that emphasizes exemplary service to campus constituents, creative problem-solving to address campus technology needs, and responsible use of college resources. The director will manage a staffing and operating budget of $2.6 million including educational technology, networks, telecommunications, and individual and unit-level administrative resources. The successful candidate must be an action-oriented manager with a proven track record of successful organizational and technical leadership within information technology. The Director of Information Technology Services reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, establish a bold strategic direction for information technology services, identifying and deploying the infrastructure, products and services necessary to answer the college’s learning, teaching, research, and administrative needs.
- Lead, mentor and encourage the ITS staff to foster a culture of collaboration and shared goals with campus partners in the delivery of innovative, client-focused, and financially sustainable information technology solutions.
- Assure a teamwork environment that encourages staff in continuous improvement and development of new skills to serve the college’s educational mission.
- Develop and monitor the ITS budget to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds to support the academic and administrative needs of the college.
- Establish an integrated digital footprint with a robust and secure infrastructure that enables research and learning regardless of the constituents’ location. The infrastructure must support interactive design, the development of new web and mobile applications and build upon new initiatives in data analytics and collaborative learning environments.
- Ensure that Alma’s information systems integrate securely and efficiently with external partners.
- Plan, configure and manage backup, archive and business continuity strategies
- Perform assigned responsibilities, duties, and tasks according to established practices, procedures, techniques, and standards in a safe manner and with minimal supervision
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
- Ten years of experience in information technology services, with at least four years in a management role.
- Broad knowledge of current computing and communications technology, including digital networks, multi-media applications, distributed computing, hardware and software infrastructure, electronic accessibility compliance, and cloud-based services.
- Project management experience implementing technology systems that bridge multiple internal departments.
- Experience in managing technology budgets and expenditures.
- Excellent problem solving, planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to effectively communicate complex technical issues with tact and sensitivity, recognizing the variety of skill levels on campus.
- Knowledge of legal issues and risks related to cyber security, privacy, intellectual property and copyrights.
- A master’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution.
- Work experience in higher education technology services
- Knowledge of Ellucian Colleague or a similar enterprise resource system
Able to participate actively in meetings in various locations across campus.
For full consideration, submissions should include:
- Letter of interest that responds to the leadership opportunities outlined above
- Names, email addresses and phone numbers of four professional references. References will not be contacted without permission of the candidate.
- External applicants should also complete an Alma College application.
Please submit application materials in PDF format to ITsearch@alma.edu. Review of applications will begin August 10, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The college reserves the right to close the application process once a sufficient applicant pool has been identified.
About Alma College:
Alma College is a private, independent four-year liberal arts and sciences college located in the city of Alma in the geographic center of Michigan. The mission of Alma College is to prepare graduates who will think critically, serve generously, lead purposefully and live responsibly as stewards of the world they bequeath to others. A Phi Beta Kappa institution, the college enrolls approximately 1400 undergraduate students from 30 states and eight foreign countries.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.