Responsible for the promotion of Alma College’s intercollegiate men’s and women’s athletics programs. This includes the accurate and timely handling of sports statistics, the day-to-day management of the Athletics Website and social media accounts, the coordination of media coverage of Alma Athletics, the production of game programs and media guides, and serves as the liaison between Athletics and Communication and Marketing. Alma College competes at the NCAA Division III level as a member of the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Alma offers 26 varsity-level sports – 12 for women and 12 for men, plus competitive cheer and dance.
This position dual reports to the Director of Athletics and the Director of Communications, with the Athletic Director providing day-to-day oversight. The position is housed with Athletics. The SID supervises a full-time Assistant Sports Information Director and part-time student employees.
• Coordinate statistics for all home athletic events; report stats and game results to the MIAA and NCAA. Oversee, maintain and archive all Athletics records.
• Oversee media relations for Athletics, which includes writing and distributing news releases, player profiles and hometown stories; developing sports media relationships; handling media requests; coordinating press box operations.
• Oversee production of game-day programs for home events. Write copy as needed for athletic recruitment brochures, game programs and other College publications.
• Manage the Athletics Website presence. Create, edit, update and post content on GoAlmaScots.com. This includes game stories, statistics, images, rosters, coaches’ biographies and game schedules.
• Coordinate the production of live stats and live video streaming of home events on the Website, and the development of Athletics promotion videos.
• Manage Athletics social media accounts in accordance with NCAA rules.
• Promote student-athletes for post-season awards and honors.
• Plan and publicize special athletics promotions and events. Prepare pre-event Athletics Hall of Fame materials.
• Coordinate Athletics advertising and sponsorship initiatives.
• Assist with game management and other duties as assigned.
• Work collaboratively with Communication and Marketing staff as necessary regarding photography coverage, branding resources, marketing initiatives and production of publications.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
• Strong writing, organization and people skills.
• Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed.
• Ability to work collaboratively with office colleagues, faculty, students, staff across disciplines.
• A valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to fulfil essential functions of the position.
• Sports information, Web content management, live stats and video experience.
• Knowledge of sports statistics software.
• Knowledge of publications development.
Walking around campus and ability to physically access press boxes. Sitting at a desk up to eight hours per day.
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application and a cover letter, current resume, and the names of three professional references via email to Steven Rackley, Director of Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application
Application deadline is July 20, 2018.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body.